Office 2019 and huge imap account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have some PC with Outlook 2010 and some big big IMAP account.

They work with "download headers only" option so PST files don't grow too much.

How it works in Outlook 2019 64bits i have read that download header only is not supported anymore in IMAP.

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcos,

Yes, beginning with Outlook 2013, downloading only headers is no longer available for IMAP and Exchange accounts.

In Outlook 2019, IMAP account no longer use a PST file to store its data but an OST file. The data of your IMAP account will be stored in the server rather than local. So you don't need to worry about a large PST file, if the OST file is too large, just delete it and a new OST file will be created next time you start your Outlook.

For more details, please refer to the article below:

Introduction to Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:35 AM
  • Hi Marcos,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hi, i'm trying Outlook 2019 with the imap account right now.

Something in your answer is not clear for me, what do you mean with "just delete OST and new file will be created"...

When i add a imap account, outlook will download all the email and the OST file start to grow.

So if the file get huge and i will delete it, outlook will create it again and i will be in the same situation.

Now You: Did I miss something?

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your reply and sorry that I may not have expressed it clearly.

Of course, over time your OST file will become larger, which may cause Outlook to perform poorly. So, to avoid this sitiation, it is suggested to set your OST keep mail offline for a short time rather than All. (Click File > Account Settings > Double click your IMAP account)

Besides, your mailbox may become larger after a long period of use. In this situation, it is suggeted to archive your messgaes to reduce the size of your mailbox.

Hope this makes it clearer and if the replies above are helpful to you, please help mark them as answers. 

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

How OST/PST work in Outlook 2019?

Solution Summary:

In Outlook 2019, IMAP account no longer use a PST file to store its data but an OST file. The data of your IMAP account will be stored in the server rather than local. So you don't need to worry about a large PST file(set your OST keep mail offline for a short time rather than All), if the OST file is too large, just delete it and a new OST file will be created next time you start your Outlook.

Reference Links:

Introduction to Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:39 AM