none
Data Protection Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,<o:p></o:p>

I have configured my DPM to synchronize hourly a hard drive of one of my server. However many times in a weekat least one of he hourly synchrniations will fail. I want to know what causes the DPM synchronizations to fail so i can reduce the number of times it fails so i can prevent loss of recovery points of that volume.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you<o:p></o:p>

Monday, October 8, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Nii

Do the log files give you any reason why it fails?

Is the backup failing at a certain time each day? Are you running any other backups during that time?

Or do you have anti-virus scanning the drive and "locking" it so the syncronization point fails? Can you run a manual sync and does it work?

Monday, October 8, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi Nii,

There are many reasons why a synchronization will fail...

DareDevil57 gave already a few, below are my standard questions to people when it comes to troubleshooting SCDPM

* Did you configure your A/V exclusions?

* Are we talking about a huge datasource and is the churn at those moments of failure very high?

* Are there other processes running on that server at those times?

* Do you see something in the DPM event log file of DPM server and/or the protected server

* What is the error message dad you get?

* When it fails, can you run a vssadmin list writer on that server and see if there are VSS errors

* What is the OS of that protected server (2003, 2008...) and what version (32bit or 64 bit)

* Do you have the latest VSS hotfixes?

We'll need some additional info to hopefully give you an answer

Brgds,

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi Nii

Any updates?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have made my DPM exclusions on the AV, and no backups run at that time, its fails randomly not at any specific time. The log file says that the changes on the protected server cannot be applied to the replica. It is running on a 64 bit 2008 R2 server. Hope this helps. But what is the latest VSS hot fix? how do i check if i dont have the latest?

I will for a vssadmin list writer to see if there are errors when it fails again. Thanks a lot for all you help so far.

Kindest Regards

Nii Marteye

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:00 PM