How to test the new virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My comapny is on the process of migrating a physical box in to Virtual Machine(P2V).

There are a lot of servers to be VMed. The process is done by another person and they want me to test the VM after migration is completed.

I need to come up with list of test cases to test the new Virtual machine. Like the APache Server, the IIS server, EMAIL RELAY SERVER, POP3 EMAIL SERVER, SQL.

Any Idea please?

Thanks

Bariyaw
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

• I can`t get your conern clearly on this one. You should treat your VM as you normally would treat a physical machine.

However, you want to be sure that both machines (the physical source and the newly converted VM) are not powered on and available on the network at the same time. Remove/disconnect the vNIC on your VM, and run all the tests you require.

Best practice is to run the tests in an isolated lab, that is not connected to the production network.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• I can`t get your conern clearly on this one. You should treat your VM as you normally would treat a physical machine.

However, you want to be sure that both machines (the physical source and the newly converted VM) are not powered on and available on the network at the same time. Remove/disconnect the vNIC on your VM, and run all the tests you require.

Best practice is to run the tests in an isolated lab, that is not connected to the production network.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Do you have a service inventory for your servers (which server is doing what)? I highly recommend you to prepare one before starting the migration if you have lots of servers.

After preparing this list, there's nothing special to do. Convert a server, test the services running on it, convert next server. It's best to do this one server at a time in the beginning of the migration project to get familiar to the job.

www.oguzpastirmaci.com

View Oguz  Pastirmaci's profile on LinkedIn
    • Proposed as answer by Romeo MlinarMVP Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:22 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:05 PM