Installed XP after Vista- HELP!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I installed XP after Vista and my machine would only boot into XP. I then ran the Vista repair utility, and now I can only boot into Vista. How can I get that dual boot menu back asking me which OS to boot into?
    Friday, September 8, 2006 4:39 PM

All replies

• Can you edit "C:\boot.ini"? if so, put in the paths for the respective operating systems.
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:59 AM
  • editing of the Boot.ini alone will not help, as Vista does not make use of the good old NTLDR, and boot.ini only affects the NTLDRs options of what and how to boot.

Vista uses "Bootmgr" which replaces the MBR code that XP has written and can be edited from within Vistas CMD, if it is started with Administrators Rights per  calling of BCDEDIT.exe within CMD.

This tool is very complex in editing and if wrong used it can do more harm than help.

To make a long story short  ...

Before you go into deep trouble I would suggest you a very simple to use tool called "VistaBootPro". It is free and works on RC1.

But of course there are no warranties if something goes wrong. Know that.

To add  XP to Vistas Bootloader or to change vistas Boot-Entries ( if you have 2/3/4 different Vistas on the HDD ) this is it:

http://www.vistabootpro.org/ 

Please read how to use it and have a look in the forums there.

It is definately simpler than Vistas own tools and usually it is doing its job very good.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 8:12 PM
  • You don't say wether you used 1 or 2 HD's but what I did was to use 1 (160GB) HD and installed Vista on it without the second drive which has XP in the machine & by default it boots to XP. If I want to boot to Vista, I press the F8 key which gives me the option to boot to either drive. I'm still trying to find how I can have the option come on at boot, but this works well for now.

Hopes this helps..... Clem13

Monday, September 18, 2006 4:27 PM