none
How To Disable "Show/Hide Hidden Items" Box In View Tab In File Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am an Administrator of a PC and I have one User. I have some hidden folders and files and want to hidden these from user. So I want to disable the "Hidden Items" Box, so the users cannot unhide the hidden files.

How is it possible without 3rd Party Tools? In Windows 7, I do this through Group Policy but here I am applying the same policy and it works and it is preventing users from unhide the file through "Folder Options". But In Windows 10, Users can simply unhide the files through go to the "View" tab and then Tick On the "Hidden Items" Box.

How to Hide or Disable "Hidden Items" Box or "View" tab in File Explorer..?

Thanks In Advance.
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Syed,

There is a policy setting that may prevent user to open folder options through the View under File explorer:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/ File Explorer

Click on File Explorer, then on the right pane, find the following policy:

Do not allow Folder Options to be opened from the Options button on the View tab of the ribbon

Double-click it, and set it to Enabled, then when you try to open the options under view, it will notify you a message below:

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 4, 2015 7:34 AM

All replies

•  There is no such option to remove the options from the Ribbon on the File Explorer.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Hi Syed,

There is a policy setting that may prevent user to open folder options through the View under File explorer:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/ File Explorer

Click on File Explorer, then on the right pane, find the following policy:

Do not allow Folder Options to be opened from the Options button on the View tab of the ribbon

Double-click it, and set it to Enabled, then when you try to open the options under view, it will notify you a message below:

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 4, 2015 7:34 AM
  • Hello,

When I am applying this policy setting (User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/File Explorer) the "Folder Options" Button is disabled and it is preventing users from unhidden the files and folders but users can access hidden files and folders through "Hidden Items" in "View Tab".

How to also prevent users from accessing hidden files and folders through "View Tab"

I am waiting for a helpable reply.

Thanks In Advance

Ali Imam.

Saturday, January 9, 2016 8:01 PM
  • did you ever get this sorted??
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:48 AM