none
RDS VDI Does Not Start All Computers Configured with Automatic Startup

Question

• I have several collections created (4), and each collection consists of 30 vms, configured them for each

collection in 3 minute intervals (180 Seconds). The first collection is configured with 0 seconds, so that the 30 computers start immediately when

the server is shut down or rebooted. The second collection is configured with 180 seconds, so that the 30 computers start after 3 minutes

when the server is shut down or rebooted. And so suspiciously the remaining collections. Problem: not all machines can start from the second collection, he searched for information that

indicates the limits of the computers to configure them with the automatic start The same parameter,

so as not to cause a startup storm. Could you tell me what microsoft best practices are to automatically configure the boot (automatic start)

so that all computers can start. Note: reviewing the ID events I can not find one that says why they do not start.

• Edited by omaues Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:39 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Omaues,

>>Could you tell me what microsoft best practices are to automatically configure the boot (automatic start)

As far as I know, there is no best practice for this scenario. You could configure according to your needs.

>>not all machines can start from the second collection,

Is it happening to random VMs or specific VMs?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Thanks Leo, the behavior is random.

In a post I read that you had to configure more than 20 VMs to start at
    the same time, but this provokes a boot storm, but I imagine that number
    may vary depending on the capabilities of the server or storage, as I can
    know how many VMs I need to configure To start at the same time.
    Since in the end all my VMs from all my Collections should turn on
    Monday, February 13, 2017 4:09 PM
  • Hi Omaues,

>>In a post I read that you had to configure more than 20 VMs to start at
    the same time,

The amount of VMs could be configured according to your own needs.

You may try less than 30 VMs to see if it helps.

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:22 AM
  • I'm curious why this matters. When a user connects to his/her virtual desktop, the service will automatically spin it up if it is saved or off.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Thanks Eric and Leo

If I restart the server, the VMs configured for automatic startup do not start all, some if they can start but others do not, and they are not the same VMs always. I will try configuring in blocks of 10 with intervals of 5 minutes per block to see what the behavior is. But if there are any other suggestions I would be grateful: The data of my server are: Dell PowerEdge R730, 16 core Intel Xeon CPU E5-2660 @ 2.60Ghz (2 Processor), 320GB RAM, 2 SAS 300GB 10K disks, 12 SAS 600GB 10K disks The virtual ones are created in a volume of 6TB

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Hi Omaues,

>>I will try configuring in blocks of 10 with intervals of 5 minutes per block to see what the behavior is.

Have you tried and how about the result?

Best Regards,

Leo

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:42 AM
  • Thanks Leo Han, I tried the following but I still have the problem:

1) I have staggered configuration in blocks of 10 VMs with intervals of 5 minutes.
    2) I have added the path where the VMs are saved to the antivirus exceptions.

If you have another recommendation I will thank you.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 9:18 PM
  • How can I know how many IOPS each VM needs and how many IOPs do I have with my 10k RPM SAS drives?
    If there is documentation about it please share it with me
    Wednesday, March 01, 2017 11:17 PM
  • Hi Omaues,

>>How can I know how many IOPS each VM needs and how many IOPs do I have with my 10k RPM SAS drives?

I'm afraid I could not find any documents about the details. 

Best Regards,

Leo

Friday, March 10, 2017 2:24 AM