What type of Fore Front I need¿? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have seen that there are some type of Fore Front, each one depends on the service that has the server that you want to protect.

But, If I want to protect a server that doesn't have any special service like exchange, sharepoint, etc, what type of Fore Front I can install¿?

For example Fore Front EndPoint Security or Fore Front Client Security¿?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:52 AM

Answers

• From the sounds of it if you are just going to protect the operating system against spyware and virus, you would want to use Forefront Client Security. Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 has not reached beta yet but should be soon with a release towards the end of the year hopefully.

Forefront Client Security is used to protect enterprise workstations, laptops, and servers in a large environment with monitoring and reporting functionality. Are you planning on just installing on one server or looking to use this as an enterprise product?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:34 PM

All replies

• From the sounds of it if you are just going to protect the operating system against spyware and virus, you would want to use Forefront Client Security. Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 has not reached beta yet but should be soon with a release towards the end of the year hopefully.

Forefront Client Security is used to protect enterprise workstations, laptops, and servers in a large environment with monitoring and reporting functionality. Are you planning on just installing on one server or looking to use this as an enterprise product?

• For server you may try to use Forefront End point protection
  • Forefront Endpoint Protection isn't officially release yet. There are Forefront Protection products out there for specific Microsoft products such as SharePoint, OCS, or Exchange services. For operating system protection, your choice for the time being would be Forefront Client Security and by next year Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 which will be the new FCS that will be integrated into SCCM.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Hello Jason,

yes, my intention is protect the OS, rather services like Exchange, Sharepoint or OCS that we have in our IT.

I need to protect some servers, and I have seen that there is an administrator or managing tool for monitoring the state of all servers thas have Fore Front Client Security installed from a unique site. For this configuration, I have seen that it is necessary to set up DDBB, AD, etc.

But, I supossed that I can install Fore Front Client Security with out these features¿? Because, I think that I can install like a standalone setup for each server.

Thanks.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:49 AM
  • If you just want the FCS client installed without the MOM Agent sending the alerts to the MOM 2005 Server and Database server, you would just want to install FCS using this command:

clientsetup.exe /nomom

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:16 PM