none
What are the Pros and Cons to not using the generated SharePoint project sites out of the gate? RRS feed

• Question

• <p>We are currently upgrading&nbsp; to PS2010 from PS2003.&nbsp; Because of licensing requirements, we are considering waiting to use the generated SharePoint project sites that come with PS2010... and wanted more input on what functionality we will lose and future issues we may encounter when we decide to use them.&nbsp; </p><p>I understand the main functionality we will lose it not being able to report risks &amp; issues across the sites and tie projects to shared deliverables.</p><p>Because we can't turn off the generated message asking if the user wants a site created when they publish the plans, we were thinking of having the sites created but not using them... which I think would help when we do transition to using them?</p><p>Anything else we should consider??&nbsp; Thanks so much!!&nbsp; Kathy</p>
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Kathy,

It all depends on the collaboration requirements for the projects / processes you have. Some of the functionality you will lose is below:

• Assigned Issues, Risks count on PWA Reminders web part
    • Issues, Risks, Documents, Deliverables linking to Tasks / Projects / other Issues/Risks etc
    • Project deliverables / project dependencies
    • Default list items in Reporting database (ease of portfolio / programme level SSRS / Excel reporting)
    • Automatic permission / user synch to Project sites

If you are thinking that you will use project sites in the future, I would create them but not use them.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Kathy,

It all depends on the collaboration requirements for the projects / processes you have. Some of the functionality you will lose is below:

• Assigned Issues, Risks count on PWA Reminders web part
    • Issues, Risks, Documents, Deliverables linking to Tasks / Projects / other Issues/Risks etc
    • Project deliverables / project dependencies
    • Default list items in Reporting database (ease of portfolio / programme level SSRS / Excel reporting)
    • Automatic permission / user synch to Project sites

If you are thinking that you will use project sites in the future, I would create them but not use them.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Thanks!!!  :)  Appreciate your help,  Kathy
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:29 PM