Installing RC Management Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to all this  so bare with me..

If I install the RC (in particular the FIM MP), will I be able to import the RTM version when it gets released? Are there any other issues I should be aware of installing RC MPs?

Cheers

Mark.

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:59 PM

Answers

• Usually.  A release candidate designation typically means that the product is close to the final release.  No guarantees that something found in RC would not be different than the final.

Sometimes a RC needs to be removed in order to install the final.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:17 AM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Doing this is simple - go to administration space, click on Management Packs.  Find the MP files associated with the RC (you need to remember all of the file names).  Delete them in reverse dependency order.  If there is only one file, just click it, right click it and select delete.

If you have made overrides on the MP, you will need to delete the Override MP first.

If you have added overrides and not followed best practices, you will need to remove overrides from the default MP, then manually edit the default MP file to remove references to the RC MP you want to delete, update the version # in the default MP and then re-import it before you can remove the MP.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Monday, July 12, 2010 11:09 AM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:57 PM
  • In addition, regarding how to remove a management pack, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

How to Remove a Management Pack

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974489.aspx

Removing dependencies on the Default Management Pack

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2007/05/03/removing-dependencies-on-the-default-management-pack.aspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Mark_Robson Monday, July 12, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:00 AM

All replies

• Usually.  A release candidate designation typically means that the product is close to the final release.  No guarantees that something found in RC would not be different than the final.

Sometimes a RC needs to be removed in order to install the final.

Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, July 9, 2010 1:55 PM
  • And there's no problem removing a RC MP in SCOM?

Cheers Dan... Mark

Friday, July 9, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Doing this is simple - go to administration space, click on Management Packs.  Find the MP files associated with the RC (you need to remember all of the file names).  Delete them in reverse dependency order.  If there is only one file, just click it, right click it and select delete.

If you have made overrides on the MP, you will need to delete the Override MP first.

If you have added overrides and not followed best practices, you will need to remove overrides from the default MP, then manually edit the default MP file to remove references to the RC MP you want to delete, update the version # in the default MP and then re-import it before you can remove the MP.

Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:57 PM
  • In addition, regarding how to remove a management pack, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

How to Remove a Management Pack

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974489.aspx

Removing dependencies on the Default Management Pack

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2007/05/03/removing-dependencies-on-the-default-management-pack.aspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Mark_Robson Monday, July 12, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Many thanks all. Much appreciated.

Mark.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:13 AM