none
Default resource unit assignment more than 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I want to assign the max unit that are more than > 100% to any task.

I have 3 teams: Team1, team2, team3 With 100%,200% and 400% max unit

I want to assign a Whole team to a task. If assign team1 it will be 100%, team2 200% and so on. It should also work as "effort driven" so if I change from team1 to team2, the duration will decrease.

How to do this? Can I Write a macro to assign Resources to trasks rather than  use the build in tool? Any ideas? Smart solutions?

And I know how assignment works, so please, don't respond With a lot of explainations of assignment works in msp.

Regards, Knut Fredrik

Saturday, March 9, 2019 11:10 AM

All replies

• KnutFredrikBerg,

I'm not sure why you think you need a macro. Just set up the teams with appropriate max units and then assign them to the tasks. If you then replace team1 for example with team2, you should automatically see the duration decrease, assuming a fixed work task which by default is effort driven.

John

Now replace team1 with team2 on task a

Saturday, March 9, 2019 3:44 PM
  • Hi John

Thanks for Your reply. I was afraid I wasn't Clear enough.

When I assign team 2 to the task, I want msp to assign 200% by default. (Because the team is 2 person, 200%)

The same, if I change this and assign team 3, it will Automatic change to 400% units and reduse the duration. 

Team 1 -3 are allways working as teams. (1-2-4 persons)This means assigning Team 1, give me 100% units, team2 200% and so on. And all the work is effort driven. In other Words, I want to decide how fast will this taks be executed, just by choosing team. No entering of units. By default, Project will give me 100% the first time I assign a resource. I want project, by default enter max unit for that paticular resource. 

And this is just half of the storie… If I use Resource Planner, and drag task1 from Resource 1 to Resource 2 it will change from 100% to 200% by it self. I don't think that I can make Project do that by it self?

Knut Fredrik

Saturday, March 9, 2019 5:09 PM
  • I hope John will forgive the interruption.

Knut Fredrik, what version of Project are you using?

In Project 2010 (the version John's example uses), the default units for an assignment depends on the method of entry.  When simply entering the resource name using a form (i.e. task form, task details form, task information form), the full capacity (e.g. 500%) is entered for the assignment units.  If, on the other hand, the resource name is directly entered into the task table, then it seems that only 100% units are assigned.

I don't know about 2013, but in Project 2016, the behavior seems to have changed such that all entries - in form or in table - are 100% by default.  I imagine that is the result of "majority rules."  If you want something besides that behavior - and you don't want to type in units for each assignment, then you may need to use an approach that doesn't rely on the default user interface, e.g. Excel import or vba.

I'll admit that I haven't mastered manual resource loading in either tool (2010 or 2016), so there may be a setting I've missed.

Good luck.  tom 

Saturday, March 9, 2019 11:32 PM
  • Tom,

No problem jumping in. I tried a few different methods of entering/changing assigned teams and indeed some methods will automatically assign the team at their max units level. However, the poster wants Project to automatically adjust the duration based on the team assigned and I could find no method that does that automatically.

John

Sunday, March 10, 2019 4:58 PM
  • Knut, good question, tricky problem. But is it really a problem?

No one has said how they assign the resources, or change the resource assignments, although Tom mentions some of them. Whichever is usually just a matter of convenience, and you would always check that the default is what you wanted anyway. I find it is easier to just accept defaults, then correct to suit.

I have never much liked this teams and 300% max units approach.
    You don't get the fine tuning you need.

Treating three people as a permanent team at max units = 300% is ok as long as there is no intention to ever split up the team or level at individuals resolution. That means giving up on some of the MSP leveling functionality. Is it worth it, when the simple alternative is to start with resources equivalent to 100% individual people?

I think you are asking MSP to do more than just use a different default units when making an assignment. You also want to change the way it makes a change to an assignment, in order to "back calculate" duration. I don't think you can do it, or I can't think of how, and it would sort of contradict the way MSP was designed to be used, which is starting with a duration as input, and getting work as an output.

Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:17 PM
  • Hi Trevor. Thanks for answering. My teams are "fixed, the will never split. Team 2 is allways 2 persons and will produce faster than team1. 

I want to change from one team to another and max units will be assigned automaticly. Entering max unit every time I change a team is no option.

Knut Fredrik

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:51 PM
  • Knut --

You have gotten some really excellent answers from my esteemed colleagues.  One piece of information you did not provide to us is what version of Microsoft Project you are using.  Are you using 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, or Project Pro for Office 365?  It would really help if we knew your version.  And also, please tell us if your version of Microsoft Project is fully updated with the latest security updates.

Using Microsoft Project 2016, I can confirm that if you assign one of your "team" resources and do not supply a Units value, the software will always enter 100% as the Units value by default, even if the Max. Units value is 200% or 300%.  This is the default behavior of the tool that cannot be changed.

In addition, if the Max. Units value for the resource is LESS THAN 100% and you assign the resource without supplying a Units value, the software will automatically enter the Max. Units value as the Units value.  For example, the Max. Units value for Mickey Cobb is 50% because she is only available half-time for project work.  If I assign her to a task and do not enter a Units value, the software will automatically enter 50% as her Units value. This is also the default behavior of the tool that cannot be changed.

To address your original question, suppose that you assign your Team1 resource to a task at a Units value of 100% (you manually entered the Units value).  Later, you swap the Team1 resource with the Team2 resource using the Replace functionality in the Assign Resources dialog.  Microsoft Project WILL NOT automatically adjust the Units value to 200% even though the Max. Units value is 200%.  The software ASSUMES that you want to keep the original Units value.  This means that after you do the swap from the Team1 resource to the Team2 resource, you will need to manually adjust the Units value to 200%.  There is no way to force the software to automatically make this change; it is up to you to do it manually.

Also, if you did swap the Team1 resource for the Team2 resource and you did change the Units value to 200%, Microsoft Project will automatically cut the Duration value in half because a two-person team can work twice as fast as a one-person team.  This is assuming that the Task Type is either Fixed Units (the default) or Fixed Work, of course.

Hope this extra information helps.  Also, if any of our replies have answered your question, would you please mark one or more replies as the answer?  Thanks.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Hi Tom

This is not right. Default assign Level is 100% or less if the Resource max unit is >100% It has been this for many Versions, and just for fun, I installed 2007 and 2010 to check it out. No mather what you do, 100% is the max you cab get.

The behavior is similar in 13/16 as well. If you want more than 100% you ha ve to enter the value.

Monday, March 18, 2019 9:54 AM
  • KnutFredrikBerg,

In Tom's defense, he is correct. In Project 2010, if the Task Form, Task Details Form or Task Information is used to assign a resource, that resource WILL be assigned at the max unit level.

I do not have Project 2016 but I will assume that he is also correct when he said that assignments are limited to 100% unless manually entered otherwise.

Although Dale did not address earlier versions of Project (e.g. Project 2010), an initial assignment using one of the methods noted above will give the resource's max unit level but a subsequent assignment (e.g. team 2 replacing team 1), is limited to the assignment level of the previous resource. However, this also works in reverse. If team 2 is initially assigned (200%) and is then replaced by team 1, team 1 will be overallocated at 200%. This behavior is probably why things were changed in current versions of Project.

John

Monday, March 18, 2019 3:26 PM