Exchange 2016 DAG, DR & Archiving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

My plan is to

1. In Site A, deploy two node Ex2016 DAG1 and a third standalone Ex2016 node for Exchange Archive Database.
    2. I then wish to extend the DAG1 in Site A to Site B by deploying a third node in DAG1 for Site Resilience.
    3. Exchange Node in Site B will only have copies of Mailbox Database in DAG1 those have users primary mailboxes. It will not have the Archive DB.

My queries are

1. If Site A for some reason is unavailable, can I mount the Mailbox DB on the third node of DAG1 in Site B and Can users gain access only to their Primary mailbox, without having any access/connection with the Archive database in Site A.
    2. Can, I switch back the DAG operation to Site A and Users have access to Primarymailboxes and automatically establish/restore connection with their Archive Mailbox?

Regards

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi.

> If Site A for some reason is unavailable, can I mount the Mailbox DB on the third node of DAG1 in Site B and Can users gain access only to their Primary mailbox, without having any access/connection with the Archive database in Site A.

Yes, you can hand-on activate third node in Site B. User receive notification when open Outlook, about archive mailbox not available.  

Datacenter switchovers>Can, I switch back the DAG operation to Site A and Users have access to Primarymailboxes and automatically establish/restore connection with their Archive Mailbox?

When Site A return for replication, you can move Active Mailbox DB to Site A, and archive mailbox reconnect to Outlook user profile after re-run Outlook. 

Perform a server switchover

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi.

> If Site A for some reason is unavailable, can I mount the Mailbox DB on the third node of DAG1 in Site B and Can users gain access only to their Primary mailbox, without having any access/connection with the Archive database in Site A.

Yes, you can hand-on activate third node in Site B. User receive notification when open Outlook, about archive mailbox not available.  

Datacenter switchovers>Can, I switch back the DAG operation to Site A and Users have access to Primarymailboxes and automatically establish/restore connection with their Archive Mailbox?

When Site A return for replication, you can move Active Mailbox DB to Site A, and archive mailbox reconnect to Outlook user profile after re-run Outlook. 

Perform a server switchover

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Oleg
    Friday, December 6, 2019 10:35 AM