none
Custom field lookup list not showing in MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Server 2013 and Project Professional 2013.

I created a custom field with a lookup table in project server. I added this field to a file in MS Project using a computer that I'll call computer A and save a value from the dropdown list.

I closed the file and opened it on computer B. It didn't  show the dropdown list with all the values. However, if I try to enter a value that is not in the lookup table, it gives an error message and won't let me save it.

I thought that it may be a problem with perrmissions, so I viewed the file in project server and could  I could see the values that were saved.

Why can't I see the dropdown list on computer A?

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:21 PM

Answers

• Yes, you should not even clear cache, but delete it all to solve any problems with MS Project. 

You can use this cmd-script to start MS Project (my was 2010 or v.14) every time as fresh as new one:

rmdir /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache\" && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE" /s "http://ProjectServerURL/pwa" &

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:13 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Don't think this is a permission issue.. Indeed first thing is to clear the local cache.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:16 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:57 AM

All replies

• Did you close (F4) and open MS Project от computer B? It should take an update of enterprice custom fields (in local cache).
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Yep, Project Pro only gets a fresh copy of the Enterprise template when it opens. So close and open Project to be sure to get the new field.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Closed the project and opened it again and still no field.

Perhaps I need to clear cache?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Yes, you should not even clear cache, but delete it all to solve any problems with MS Project. 

You can use this cmd-script to start MS Project (my was 2010 or v.14) every time as fresh as new one:

rmdir /S /Q "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache\" && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE" /s "http://ProjectServerURL/pwa" &

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:13 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Don't think this is a permission issue.. Indeed first thing is to clear the local cache.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:16 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Excellent, it worked well.

I ran %appdata% and found the MS Project folder as you suggested. I needed to delete WINPROJ.EXE via the Task Manager but, as I said, your instructions were spot on.

Thank you very much!

Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:16 AM
  • You are correct. Not sure if I can mark two replies as the answer but I'll do so anyway.
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:16 AM
  • Well, of course you have to close MS Project to free these files. It's like check-in and check-out projects
    Monday, July 25, 2016 8:19 AM
  • It didn't resolve the issue when I closed MS Project. 

The only way was to delete the project folder as you suggested above and  to delete WINPROJ.EXE via the Task Manager.

Thanks again for the help!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:52 AM