none
Delay Internal Email RRS feed

• Question

• Here's a good one...I'd like to start no internal email Tuesdays. I want to allow external email to come into internal recipients but suspend/delay delivery of internally generated email until the following day.

A couple of ways I thought of doing this are to send all emails from within the organization to a moderation mailbox and then release them the following day but I cannot figure out how to automatically approve all emails so they deliver the following day. Having a moderator manually release all these email is not realistic and does not protect the privacy of emails.

Another idea was to deliver all email from internal senders to a custom queue and keep that queue suspended until the following day. Then, via a scheduled task/script, resume that queue but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

Anyone have any good ideas to accomplish this?

• Edited by RobKatNG Friday, November 3, 2017 4:30 AM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 4:29 AM

Answers

• Just to close the loop on this one the customer was just fine with approving the emails manually. So the solution of sending all internally generated emails to a moderation mailbox satisfied the customer. Transport rule inside the org/inside the org goes to mod. mailbox, turn it on/off with a scheduled task/script. Also included a MailTip to alert the sender the message won't be delivered until tomorrow. This also allows the admin to monitor who is not adhering to the no internal email day rules. Thanks all for the time spent on this.

• Marked as answer by RobKatNG Friday, November 10, 2017 4:35 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 4:35 PM

All replies

• Disable the send connector at the start of the blackout period and enable it at the end.  You could pretty easily use Task Scheduler to run the short scripts to do this.

You could also block TCP port 25 outbound during the blackout period.

Exchange will retry the messages for two days.  If you plan to keep the connector disabled for longer than that, you'll probably want to modify the server's MessageExpirationTimeout parameter.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124238(v=exchg.150).aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, November 3, 2017 7:28 PM
  • What about external email? Users still need to send/receive mail from external sources. Do I need to create an additional send connector and have one for internal, one for external mail?
    Saturday, November 4, 2017 12:31 AM
  • Sorry, but I misread your question.  There is no connector for internal mail.  There's no practical way to allow external but block internal.

You didn't ask, but that's one strange requirement you have there.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, November 4, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Yeah the intent is to allow employees to concentrate on things other than email. However we can't allow customers to go unanswered so external email still needs to flow. I guess there is not a way to automatically approve moderated messages? Or send mail from internal senders to a custom queue?
    Saturday, November 4, 2017 4:35 AM
  • You could hire babysitters.

Sunday, November 5, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

You can disable the MS exchange mailbox submission service and check the results.

This will cause the internal users cannot send messages externally and internally by can receive message from external.

Thanks

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by yspintu Monday, November 6, 2017 4:12 PM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Internal users will still need to be able to send/receive to external. But thank you, Jason
    Monday, November 6, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Welcome!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Just to close the loop on this one the customer was just fine with approving the emails manually. So the solution of sending all internally generated emails to a moderation mailbox satisfied the customer. Transport rule inside the org/inside the org goes to mod. mailbox, turn it on/off with a scheduled task/script. Also included a MailTip to alert the sender the message won't be delivered until tomorrow. This also allows the admin to monitor who is not adhering to the no internal email day rules. Thanks all for the time spent on this.

• Marked as answer by RobKatNG Friday, November 10, 2017 4:35 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 4:35 PM