none
Project-Outlook sync RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to sync Project with Outlook and I get the error written below. What does it mean? What do I need to do to correct it?

"Project couldn't retrieve the Windows User Account from the address book for "Resource Name"." Spelling of the user account for the resource is correct. Not sure about the network connection check.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:48 PM

Answers

• MeghnaBharucha --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread, but there is no form of synchronization available between the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop app and Outlook.  There is limited synchronization available if your organization is using Project Server 2010.  Are you using Project Server 2010, by chance?  If so, your Project Server administrator would need to set up the Outlook synchronization settings.  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 8, 2013 4:40 PM

All replies

• So what version of Project??

What version of Outlook??

What service packs??

How are you trying to sync the two??

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Project 2010 Pro and Outlook 2010.

Not sure what you mean by service packs?

I am not sure how to do it; so I double clicked on the resource name in the resource sheet and there was an option of Windows Account. So I tried connecting that way. I am not sure about the correct way to do it.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Well I hope you have your system looked after by someone who does, or setup to automatically install all updates otherwise your system is likely riddled with security problems and bugs!

The Windows account is for integrating with things like Project Server. It is not there for Outlook integration.

What are you trying to integrate? Typically integrating with the Calendar is not a good look as the calendar rapidly overflows with large numbers of tasks spanning many days.Task integration if handled carefully and appropriately might be useful, but isn't available in Project out of the box, you need 3rd party add-ins to do it.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, November 8, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Thanks Rod!

No one in our team knows about this. I ordered a book on Project which should arrive sometime soon. In meanwhile, do you mind walking me through the steps of syncing Project with Outlook? I am not even sure what options are available with this synchronization. Hence, I am trying to explore.

Any help will be appreciated.

Friday, November 8, 2013 2:20 PM
  • MeghnaBharucha --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread, but there is no form of synchronization available between the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop app and Outlook.  There is limited synchronization available if your organization is using Project Server 2010.  Are you using Project Server 2010, by chance?  If so, your Project Server administrator would need to set up the Outlook synchronization settings.  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 8, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Dale,

No worries! Thanks for explaining that it's only possible with Project Server as I wasn't aware of that. We don't have Project Server setup for our Business Unit.

Friday, November 8, 2013 4:43 PM
  • MeghnaBharucha --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 8, 2013 4:47 PM