Can't Hear Other Calls on SfB using Razer ManO'War RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get my Razer ManO'War headset to work with Skype for Business on my work machine however I cannot hear any voices when I make SfB calls to internal or external phone numbers. I can hear all other test sounds in the software and sounds from the operating system, however just not voices when making VOIP calls.

I currently have tickets open with Razer and through my IT department, but so far no one has been able to get it to work. My IT department also installed Windows 10 on my laptop yesterday, so it's a fresh build of Windows 10 Enterprise (this was a problem even before they reinstalled the OS). Some other points:

• I installed the latest version of the driver software for the headset
    • I tested the headset on my personal computer with Windows 10 Professional and the headset works with Skype calls; I can hear the other caller and they can hear me.
    • Work machine: Lenovo Yoga 12 - Win10 Enterprise - 1511
    • Home machine: Custom built - Win10 Professional - 10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393

Any tips?

Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:50 PM

Answers

• No, the problem was never fixed. Please note though this occurred on my work laptop, which was returned for a refresh. For the past couple of months I've used a Windows 8.1 laptop. That did have the same problem as the Windows 10 laptop when I installed Razer Synapse; uninstalling Razer Synapse resolved the problem on the Windows 8.1 machine.

I'm getting a new Windows 10 Enterprise machine from my employer today, so I'll test it again and see if it's resolved.

• Marked as answer by stanman21 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi stanman21,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Based on your description, you can use the headset on the Lenovo Yoga 12, so in my opinion, the SFB server side is ok, there may be something wrong with SFB client side.

For this issue, please try the following methods:
    1. Please try to delete SFB cache files and test again.
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com (Lync 2013/SFB 2015)
    2. Try to repair your office.
    3. Make sure your SFB client and server with the latest update.
    4. Install the latest update on your windows 10 system and test again.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, January 2, 2017 12:07 PM
    Monday, January 2, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Hi Stanman,

Few more questions to understand the issue much better,

* did you try  making calls using desktop inbuilt speaker and mic? and was it working fine?

*if inbuilt mic and speaker working fine  did you try call quality after connecting the headset?

The headset has nothing to do with Skype for business audio codec. it just work as usual another headset.

- Muralidharan. Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

Monday, January 2, 2017 11:55 AM
  • To answer your questions:

• Delete SfB cache and repair Office - My computer just had Windows 10 and Office 365 installed on Friday; it was the same problem before and after the installation.
    • Make sure SfB is updated with the latest update SfB on my client machine is updated as much as it can be but I don't have access to the server
    • Install latest updates to Windows 10 - I cannot install the latest update on Windows 10; my employer manages the updates, so it's currently on build 1511. Before Friday I had build 1607 installed on the machine (against the recommendations of my IT department) and the headset still had the expected behavior. This was the same problem in both 1511 and 1607.
    • Try making calls using built-in microphone and speaker - yes I did try using the built-in microphone and headset and things worked as expected: I could hear the caller and all other computer sounds
    • Did you try call quality after connecting the headset - I tried using the test call service but I couldn't hear the recording after making the call so I don't know if it recorded my voice.

Please note, this only happens with the Razer ManO'War headset at my house; I use a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 at work and everything works fine. I also have support tickets open with my employer and with Razer.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Hi Stanman,

Thanks for the update. it looks like nothing to do with the skype client but headset.

Please make sure you selected the correct audio device in your laptop,

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-an-audio-device-for-Skype-for-Business-2533d929-9814-4349-8ae4-fca29246e2ff

- Muralidharan. Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:19 PM
  • It's selected and configured correctly, all drivers installed and working. All Skype calls work on my personal machines, but not on the machine provided by my employer. 
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi stanman,

Thanks for your response.

Please try to reinstall SFB client and test again.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:33 AM
  • This was a problem before and after reinstalling Windows 10 and Office 365/SfB. 
    Friday, January 6, 2017 3:31 PM
  • Hi stanman,

For this issue, please check if there are any errors in SFB client log, if possible, please provide it for us for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:42 AM
  • How can submit those files? I don't see an attachment button.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Any update? 
    Friday, January 20, 2017 6:24 PM
  • One month later and still a problem.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 12:02 AM
  •  Have no idea, you can open a premier ticket with MS
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:27 AM
  • This is actually an issue with the way the headset works and not a Skype for Business Client issue.

The reason you can hear sounds from the client is because those are being played through the OS.

When you are calling another user their sound is being sent to the headset from the Skype for business media stack.

In order to fix this issue there would need to be a design change on the headset to work with Skype for Business.

A list of devices that are designed to work with Lync/Skype for Business can be found below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn788944.aspx

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:42 AM
  • The headset does work with Skype for Business; I had a ticket open with Razer and they said the headset worked for them when testing with SfB. Other co-workers have also tried using the headset with Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 (both Enterprise) with SfB and they had no issues. It does not work on my computer though, both before and after installing Win10 Enterprise again.

I'm lost what to try next. It works on every other computer except mine. I've updated all drivers, even had my IT department re-install Windows 10 but I still get the very same behavior. It also doesn't work with Skype, not just SfB, so could there be a problem with the laptop I'm missing? It's a Lenovo Yoga 12. My company IT department can't figure this out either.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:37 PM
  • Still problems with Manowar & SfB..is there any news or schedule for fix? I think there is some fix for personal Skype client.
    • Proposed as answer by kajje Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by kajje Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Found the Fix!

I had 32-bit Office installed. I uninstalled it and changed to 64-bit version..now everything works!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:01 PM
  • No, the problem was never fixed. Please note though this occurred on my work laptop, which was returned for a refresh. For the past couple of months I've used a Windows 8.1 laptop. That did have the same problem as the Windows 10 laptop when I installed Razer Synapse; uninstalling Razer Synapse resolved the problem on the Windows 8.1 machine.

I'm getting a new Windows 10 Enterprise machine from my employer today, so I'll test it again and see if it's resolved.

• Marked as answer by stanman21 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:48 PM
  • I have the same issue, but when I uninstall razer synapse it starts working. Did you ever resolve this?
    Friday, June 30, 2017 8:28 AM
  • No I never found a solution to fix the problem. I don't have that laptop anymore though and using a new one now that hasn't had any problems, but I haven't installed the Razer software though. I'm sure that's the conflict, but I'm not willing to test it when everything works now.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 2:19 PM
  • I had this issue.  Uninstalling the Razer Synapse software seems to have fixed it for me.  Then just have to reboot or unplug/plug the wireless receiver again for Windows to reinstall the drivers.  Then just make sure to not install Razer Synapse again when it prompts.

You mentioned you no longer have the issue, but hope this helps for others.

Thanks to Marine_93 for suggestion.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Uninstalling never worked for me. Once installed the first time, it would not work. It never resolved until my employer refreshed my PC.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:32 PM
  • This was the fix for me. Razer Man o War headset. No inbound audio on SFB. Uninstalled 32-bit and installed 64-bit click-to-run version from O365 and works great now!
    Friday, October 27, 2017 3:10 AM