none
SQL Server 2016 mirroring terminated RRS feed

• Question

• I setup basic mirroring between 2 servers with no witness, so far so good, DB’s replicate fine. <o:p></o:p>

Come monthly maintenance windows the servers get patched by SCCM and reboot.<o:p></o:p>

The mirror still stands, no errors.

<o:p></o:p>

One day I added more RAM to the target server and the mirror stopped with error: “Database mirroring has been terminated for database “db01” <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

What could have caused this and how can I prevent this from happening?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

What do I need to do to restart the mirror as the DB is now showing not mirrored?

Thanks, M<o:p></o:p>

Maelito

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Maelito,

You can consider pausing and then resuming database mirroring.

Please see:

Pausing and Resuming Database Mirroring

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:08 AM

All replies

• What does this return?

SELECT role_desc, state_desc FROM sys.database_mirroring_endpoints 

You may need to issue this command as well:

alter database DatabaseName SET PARTNER RESUME   

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:12 PM
  • This is the problem - the mirror setup has gone:

Maelito

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:14 PM
  • Hi Maelito,

As you said that you add more RAM to the target server, then the database mirroring is terminated. Physical and operating system can cause a failure in a database mirroring session. Reconfigurate the endpoint also may cause the failure for database mirroring.

For detailed information, please refer to: Possible Failures During Database Mirroring

Besides, if it is convenient, I would suggest you restarting the database mirroring.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Bob_FT Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:40 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi Emily,

Yeah that makes sense thanks for the info.

Regarding the restart of the DB mirror - looks like I have to set it up from scratch and there is no option to resume the mirror from the DB's in question.

I am guessing I will need to do a full back up and restore from the primary server to the secondary server before I can start mirroring? 

Is that correct?

M

Maelito

Thursday, November 15, 2018 11:48 AM
  • Hi Maelito,

Yes, you need to create the mirror database by restoring the full backups via using WITH NORECOVERY option. Here is the detailed steps for establishing a database mirroring session.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2018 6:01 AM
  • Thanks, Emily

I now have to reboot both servers - they are in a mirrored state - what is the best way to avoid losing the mirror setup?

Stop the SQL services on both - Primary first?

Reboot primary server first?

Thanks, Ismael

Maelito

Friday, November 23, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Hi Maelito,

You can consider pausing and then resuming database mirroring.

Please see:

Pausing and Resuming Database Mirroring

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Awesome idea Thanks Emily! M

Maelito

Monday, November 26, 2018 8:32 PM
  • Hi Maelito,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please tell us if your question has been resolved. If so, in order to close the thread, please kindly mark helpful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:50 AM