Get-Windowsfeature missing??? RRS feed

• Question

• What happened to the get-windowsfeature cmdlet?? It was working a few days ago, receiving the error message below. Tested it on several PC's running Windows 10.

get-windowsfeature : The term 'get-windowsfeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
     operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try a
    gain.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-windowsfeature
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (get-windowsfeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Get-WIndowsFeature is part of ServerManager module which is available only on Windows Server.

You can use this command:

dism /online /get-features

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:19 AM
  • I just ran this on one Windows 10 workstation just fine. Now, on another, and it doesn't work.

There must be an answer not having to do with servers?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:09 PM
  • What happened to the get-windowsfeature cmdlet?

Were you thinking of  Get-WindowsOptionalFeature ?

PS>Get-Help Get-*Feature
    Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature        Cmdlet    Dism                      Get-WindowsOptionalFeature...

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:52 PM
  • Agree with this observation.

Get-WindowsFeature was functional on desktops, and then perhaps an upgrade or something and it stopped working.

Cannot find the actual code for Get-WindowsFeature function anywhere in the modules.  So even though it is listed as under 'ServerManager' module, searching all the .ps* files in that module folder isn't finding the code.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:21 PM
  • Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299
    Not working for me either.  Same error:

"The term 'Get-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again."

I assume Windows 10 also has Features?  ;-)

• Edited by b-rona Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:49 AM
  • Get-WindowsFeature is now only a server OS cmdlet.

The equivalent on Win10 is:

Get-WindowsCapability

(also Add-WindowsCapability, Remove-WindowsCapability)

I don't know which Win 10 build was first to have this change, but that's how it is now.

BTW, you can now add the various RSAT tools from Settings > Apps & Features > Manage Optional Features.

We no longer need to go download the RSAT msu bundle; it's already local (unless your image is custom and it's been stripped out, yada yada).

Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:40 PM