none
USB 3.0 port vs 2.0 port

Question

• Using MDT 2010 to create XP and Win 7 images (both x86 and x64)
    Using USB media to build systems
    Testing build on HP 8740w, 8540w and 8540p.  These 3 systems have NEC USB 3.0 ports (2 each) as well as Intel USB 2.0 ports (1 each).

If I plug the USB stick into the USB 2.0 port and boot any of the laptops off it,
    I get the Task Sequence screen (SkipBDDWelcome = YES).  This is what is expected to happen.
    If I plug the same USB stick into either of the USB 3.0 ports and boot the laptop off it, I get the network server input screen
    This is not what is expected or wanted.  It is not intermittent.  This is easily reproduceable.

I have updated my deployment share and recreated my boot image.  I have rebuild my Media in MDT.  I have formatted and rebuilt my USB stick.
    I have tried other vendors' USB sticks.  I cannot figure out why booting off the USB 3.0 ports is causing this or how to correct it.

I am wide open to suggestions.

Z
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:58 PM

All replies

• May be a USB 3.0 driver issue or something in the BIOS preventing a boot from USB 3.0.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:05 PM
  • It is booting off the USB stick.  It loads WinPE.  But instead of the Task Sequence selection window, you get the window where it asks for the path to the MDT server and share.

I have interrupted WinPE (I think it is F8) and poked around.  I am unable to find the drive letter that is assigned to the USB stick.  My guess is, WinPE cannot find the stick and then defaults to a network build menu.

I guess I need to get the USB 3.0 drivers into WinPE. 

Z
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:51 PM
  • It is booting off the USB stick.  It loads WinPE.  But instead of the Task Sequence selection window, you get the window where it asks for the path to the MDT server and share.

I have interrupted WinPE (I think it is F8) and poked around.  I am unable to find the drive letter that is assigned to the USB stick.  My guess is, WinPE cannot find the stick and then defaults to a network build menu.

I guess I need to get the USB 3.0 drivers into WinPE. 

Z

Booting does not automatically ensure that PE can see the usb stick. The bootloader loads the PE image into ram and then boots it. You still need drivers for the usb ports. A regular PE 3.0 would probably have drivers for every usb port except 3.0...

-Anders

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Zman, Did you ever find the solution to this problem?  I’m experiencing the same issue even after 3.0 drivers were injected.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:00 PM
  • AKoby,

I created a selection profile just for WinPE.  I loaded only the drivers I wanted injected into WinPE (mass storage, chipset [including USB 3.0], network) and selected that profile for WinPE (under Windows PE xnn Components) and tell it to load all drivers from that profile.

I have nto had a problem since.

-Z-

Z
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Perfect! This did the trick.  I assumed that the option 'Include all system-class drivers in the selection profile' meant the USB 3.0 drivers would inject as well. 

Thanks for the info Z!

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:47 PM