none
Exchange 2013 Public Folders Permissions Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I recently migrated Public Folders from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013. Everything seemed to go well but I've discovered that I am unable to view or edit the permissions on public folders using the Exchange Management Shell or the Exchange Admin Center. I am using an account that is part of the Organization Management and Public Folder Management groups.

For example, if I run the following shell command:

Get-PublicFolderClientPermission "\FN Project Folders\A"

I get the following error:

The security principal specified is already on the permission set.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-PublicFolderClientPermission], CorruptDataException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=EXCH2013,RequestId=e367b646-46e5-496c-8921-929745d50929,TimeStamp=4/24/2014 4:37
       :32 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-CorruptDataException] 9A3E7345,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.StoreTasks.GetPublicF
      olderClientPermission
        + PSComputerName        : exch2013.freese.com

When I click on the same public folder in the EAC, I see same error, The security principal specified is already on the permission set. Then, if I click Manage under Folder Permissions a small window pops up with an error 500.

Similarly, if I try to run Add-PublicFolderClientPermission or Remove-PublicFolderClientPermission I get the same error as when I run Get-PublicFolderClientPermission.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:10 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry that I was away for so long. I had a bigger problem come up that took me away from my permissions issue. The good news is that I resolved that problem and I have found a solution for my corrupt permissions. Since this problem seems to be pretty rare I figured I should share my solution.

To fix the corrupt permissions I had to move folders to the Master Hierarchy mailbox, fix the permissions, then move them back. I used Move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1 to move branches of folders at a time. I used MAPIFolders (free third party program) to first, elevate the permissions for the user, Default, then I was able to use it to fix the ACL's on the folders.

Here are the commands I ran:

CD $env:ExchangeInstallPath\scripts.\Move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1

MAPIFolders -AddFolderPermission -User:Default -AccessRights:PublishingEditor -Scope:Subtree "\FN Project Folders\A"
    MAPIFolders -FixFolderACL -Scope:Subtree "\FN Project Folders\A"

• Marked as answer by mtgriff Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:29 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:29 PM

All replies

• I assume you already have administrative right or added to the Public Folder management role group..

do you see any errors in the event logs?

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:38 AM
  • any updates?

Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:01 AM

• any updates ?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

i have exactly the same problem.

Have you solved it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:01 AM
  • I'm sorry that I was away for so long. I had a bigger problem come up that took me away from my permissions issue. The good news is that I resolved that problem and I have found a solution for my corrupt permissions. Since this problem seems to be pretty rare I figured I should share my solution.

To fix the corrupt permissions I had to move folders to the Master Hierarchy mailbox, fix the permissions, then move them back. I used Move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1 to move branches of folders at a time. I used MAPIFolders (free third party program) to first, elevate the permissions for the user, Default, then I was able to use it to fix the ACL's on the folders.

Here are the commands I ran:

CD $env:ExchangeInstallPath\scripts.\Move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1

MAPIFolders -AddFolderPermission -User:Default -AccessRights:PublishingEditor -Scope:Subtree "\FN Project Folders\A"
    MAPIFolders -FixFolderACL -Scope:Subtree "\FN Project Folders\A"

• Marked as answer by mtgriff Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:29 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:29 PM