none
Multiple copies of data set fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm having problems of finding proper guides how to configure protection settings to be able to create multiple tape backup sets.

I need to have simple "requirements" lists what hardware i need to have, and how to configure the DPM.

I have IBM TS3200 tape library, with 48 slots and 2 fibre LTO-5 drives. My DPM is 2010 with KB2465832 and KB2250444 installed, running on Win 2008R2.

On one document i find instructions that the tape library that's used for "taking multiple copies of tape sets" should have multiple tape drives for tape-to-tape copy task.

On the help files of DPM, for protection groups Library Details - page, there's a note that "Use Copy Library option only if you specified that you wanted multiple copies...". Does this mean that to be able to create multiple copies, i should have multiple libraries?

How should it be, should i split my SL3200 to two logical libraries with one LTO5 drive each, or should i keep is as one library with two LTO5 drives?

Either way, i cannot trigger the "dataset copy" task at all, tape backup jobs start normally, run normally, and stop when finished.

No "dataset copy" jobs created at all, no matter how i change the configurations or protection group settings.

I have configured my recovery goals "Number of backup copies" to 2.

Please help me out here, we have legal demands for dual tape sets and would very much like to use DPM for this.

Yours,

Antti Laatikainen

Monday, January 2, 2012 10:06 AM

All replies

• You should be able to create a tape copy with a single library with more than two drives on that library.

So... when you setup multiple copies and you go to Monitoring/Jobs and filter your schedule you can't see this?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I cannot see Dataset copy - jobs at all.

Only tape backup jobs, that finish without problems.

And no error messages of any kind.

You have one library, that you have configured for both "Library" and "Copy Library" options, you have enabled "Number of backup copies" to "2" and that's it? How many drives have you allocated for the backup job?

Antti

Antti Laatikainen IT Security Manager Santen Europe
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Here it goes...

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 2, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Good Morning!

I simply cannot get this to work.

I tried with 1library/2drives and 2libraried/1drives combinations, restarted the server etc.

Still the backup jobs run normally, and stop.

No dataset copy-jobs at all.

I believe the system works so that DPM first writes all the scheduled backup jobs to tapes, then does the dataset copy for each back tape?

Do you have the co-location of tapes enabled?

Antti

Monday, January 9, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Yep.. DPM completes the scheduled backup first and then do the dataset copy. But you should see those one scheduled as well.

and yes, co-location is enabled on my system too....

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Hi!

After vigorous testing i finally got this to work.

With the settings of 2 different libraries with 1 drive each, and protection group settings to include only 1 drive for backup jobs. Server restarts, library reconfigurations etc..

Funny thing I still experience is that if i trigger the backupjob manually (extra recovery point outside normal schedule), the copy jobs

won't run. If i schedule the backup and let DPM to trigger it to start, then the data copy jobs are also created.

Thanks for helping with this!

Antti

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Hi Antti,

Good to know that you now have the dataset working now.

The reason you don't see a copy backup if you manually trigger a recovery point is because a triggered recovery point is a ad-hoc type of backup and that doesn't include a dataset copy.

If you need to backup the whole protection group including a dataset copy you will need to manually fire it via SQL Agent Job...

I created a script that allows you to to that without having to find out which hob is which in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:25 AM