Vista Device Manager opens & closes immediatly RRS feed

• Question

• One problem I have with my vista Ultimate is that the Administrative Tools and the

Device Manager, open momentarily (approx one second) and then close again.

Has anyone got any help they can offer as to how I can get The Device Manager and

the Administrative Tools to open properly.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:37 PM

Answers

• The problem has been solved!

Kapersky found a Backdoor Trojan W32 Pakes.

After removal all was returned to normal.

Thanks to all who read my post.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:40 PM

All replies

• The problem has been solved!

Kapersky found a Backdoor Trojan W32 Pakes.

After removal all was returned to normal.

Thanks to all who read my post.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:40 PM
  •  

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Hi - Is this actually a virus or is it just Spyware used to try and force me to download a programe?  How do I remove it when Norton, Adware and Microsoft Malware don't recognise it?

Please, please someone help me  ..... am having a hard time deciding whether to pull my hair out or throw laptop out 26th floor window!!

Many thanks
    Monday, September 3, 2007 2:16 PM
  •  

Well I'm glad to know I'm not in this boat alone.  One of our computers was attacked with this same trojan.w32.looksky thing.  It took over the computer!  The desktop background was changed to a big red screen saying DANGER or warning or something like that-----the entire desktop became a  url LINK.  I searched in the .gif files and removed the ones that were for this "new" desktop background, but they reappeared after a reboot.  My homepage was also changed repeatedly to some site that wanted me to download NOW to remove the virus(of course I would have to submit cc info in order to buy this product).  Without touching anything, boxes would pop up that looked like authentic messages from windows or microsoft internet explorer.  If you clicked the X in top right corner, you would be directed to a site trying to sell you something to protect your system. 

I ran a full system scan using NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007 and no threats were found in over 600,000 files.  I ran spybot search and destroy--8 threats were detected and fixed.  Upon reboot, they all came back!  After 32 hours of diligently trying to remove this problem I called Dell support and did a format c: and then reinstalled all my software.

PS...I wrote down what all of the various boxes said and reported this info to Dell  & Norton.  Dell said it was malware that goes into the registry and takes over the computer(which it did).  Norton agreed--I told them they should give me a refund!

If you get these things popping up in your face, DO NOT CLICK OK.  DO NOT CLICK ON YOUR DESKTOP.  POWER YOUR COMPUTER OFF AND CALL DELL(or HP or whoever you bought your  computer from).  They will help you to wipe out your c drive and reinstall your operating system.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:32 PM
  • I had the same problem and managed to get over most of it with the quite excellent SmitfraudFix that someone on this site recommended.  I do still have lingering popups and a continual strip at the top of my internet explorer that I can't seem to get rid of which invites me to do a system check for viruses.  Any help on ridding these persistent pests would be much appreciated - I have tried switching off sytem restore before running the SmitfraudFix and on again after but it doesn't clear it. 

Just to mention Norton for a moment - I also have NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007 and it did not identify the virus so I rung them.  They know all about this virus and can fix it but they deliberately do not include either the detector or the fix in their software in order that they can screw a fat fee out of you to fix it when it happens.  This is apparently true for several other viruses.  I rang Norton for help and they refused point blank unless I paid a further  fat fee up front.  In short the Norton Anti-Virus Software as sold is nothing but a fraud designed to get you into the fold for when problems happen after which they hope to mug you whilst you are vulnerable.  I believe that their business practices should be investigated at Government level as they are nationally marketing a product which they know to be a fraud.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:37 PM
  • i got the virus too and it hijack your home page and give a blank or about and there is a security tool 7 at the top i googled this and there is a removel tool called xoftspyse i downloaded the free version and scanned my hd and it wants money to get rid of the virus now i think its a shame that microsoft and other know about and wont help there customers after all we spend so much money and time on there products. i renewed my subscription to swdoctor and it found it and quarantined but was unable to remove it xoftspyse removes it but im tired of spending money on it. my email is benne126@hotmail.com if u figure something else out plz let me also.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:37 PM
  • This same thing happed to me also. I scanned with Norton Internet securiry and spyware bot search and destroy and they found some threads but did not fix the problem. there is no desktop picture now and I cant change the home page either.

I guess I will check for that trojan horse name under symantec and if they dont have a fix, I will C:format; my drive.

thanks for the tip.

hiro

Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:58 PM
  •  

my computer was attacked bya trojan and i cant get it off how do i get it off?
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:06 AM
  • Deleted
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Chrysty,
      I have the same problem, except I'm about two years behind you. Who is Kapersky and how did he/she remove the Backdoor Trojan W32 Pakes?
    Larry
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:39 PM