List Toolbar dissapeared - Setting the default for all sites in a collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are about to upgrade to SP2010 and on a migration test I have noticed all of our SP Lists have lost their toolbars... I assume because Microsoft is encoraging everyone to use the ribbon instead (it would be nice to have been given the choice of both!)

This equates to literally hundreds of lists and hundreds of views that will have to be painstakingly reset manually.  3/4 of our 1500 users do not use office producst so are not conversant with the ribbon concept, nor is a mass retraining session feasible!    

I have scroured around for days to find an automated solution to switch them back on, but to no avail.

From what I am gathering I think that the schema setting for list view toolbars is in the server installtion templates, but we have a policy of never editing core files.  Is there a way of defining this elsewhere... such as with stylesheets, javascipt or assigning a different schema in the master page?

Any clever ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

Julie

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Julie:

Upgrading a SharePoint environment from the 2007 version to the 2010 version changes the masterpage version in use. However, you can preserve the MOSS 2007 Look & Feel (in other words, the User Interface) in any site and/or site collection by leveraging the visual upgrade options. The 'UIVersion' property in the following script defines the version of the masterpage that will be used. If it is 3 then, the Look & Feel will be for MOSS 2007, and if is 4, then, it is the SharePoint 2010 Look & Feel.

• Start Menu -> SharePoint 2010 Products
    • Right-click on SharePoint 2010 Management Shell -> Run as Administrator
    • Use either one or all of these following scripts:

1) TO REVERT A SPECIFIC SITE IN A SITE COLLECTION TO THE PREVIOUS UI

Get-SPSite http://machinename/sites/V3UI | Get-SPWeb "webname" | Foreach{$_.UIVersionConfigurationEnabled=1;$_.UIVersion=3;$_.Update()}

2) TO REVERT ALL SITES IN A SITE COLLECTION

$site = Get-SPSite http://machinename/sites/V3UI
    $site.AllWebs | Foreach{$_. UIVersionConfigurationEnabled=1;$_.UIVersion=3;$_.Update()}

3) TO REVERT ALL SITES IN A CONTENT DATABASE

$db = Get-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content
    $db.Sites | Get-SPWeb -limit all | ForEach-Object {$_.UIversion = 3; $_.UIVersionConfigurationEnabled = $false; $_.update()}

**I would highly recomment that you try these commands in a test environment before you run them in your production environment.**

Also, after running the commands, you will see the MOSS 2007 interface again. However, content and features added in the updated user interface may not display in the user interface of the earlier version of SharePoint. To restore the content and features that were added, update the user interface.

Should you choose to upgrade to the SharePoint 2010 User Interface (which is the recommended UI for SharePoint 2010 anyway), you can follow the following steps:

- Go to the site you want to upgrade the UI for.
    - Click on Site Actions.
    - Click on Visual Upgrade.
    - Click on "Preview the updated user interface" or "Update the user interface".
    - Click ok.

PRMENDIR - MSFT

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi Julie:

Upgrading a SharePoint environment from the 2007 version to the 2010 version changes the masterpage version in use. However, you can preserve the MOSS 2007 Look & Feel (in other words, the User Interface) in any site and/or site collection by leveraging the visual upgrade options. The 'UIVersion' property in the following script defines the version of the masterpage that will be used. If it is 3 then, the Look & Feel will be for MOSS 2007, and if is 4, then, it is the SharePoint 2010 Look & Feel.

• Start Menu -> SharePoint 2010 Products
    • Right-click on SharePoint 2010 Management Shell -> Run as Administrator
    • Use either one or all of these following scripts:

1) TO REVERT A SPECIFIC SITE IN A SITE COLLECTION TO THE PREVIOUS UI

Get-SPSite http://machinename/sites/V3UI | Get-SPWeb "webname" | Foreach{$_.UIVersionConfigurationEnabled=1;$_.UIVersion=3;$_.Update()}

2) TO REVERT ALL SITES IN A SITE COLLECTION

$site = Get-SPSite http://machinename/sites/V3UI
    $site.AllWebs | Foreach{$_. UIVersionConfigurationEnabled=1;$_.UIVersion=3;$_.Update()}

3) TO REVERT ALL SITES IN A CONTENT DATABASE

$db = Get-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content
    $db.Sites | Get-SPWeb -limit all | ForEach-Object {$_.UIversion = 3; $_.UIVersionConfigurationEnabled = $false; $_.update()}

**I would highly recomment that you try these commands in a test environment before you run them in your production environment.**

Also, after running the commands, you will see the MOSS 2007 interface again. However, content and features added in the updated user interface may not display in the user interface of the earlier version of SharePoint. To restore the content and features that were added, update the user interface.

Should you choose to upgrade to the SharePoint 2010 User Interface (which is the recommended UI for SharePoint 2010 anyway), you can follow the following steps:

- Go to the site you want to upgrade the UI for.
    - Click on Site Actions.
    - Click on Visual Upgrade.
    - Click on "Preview the updated user interface" or "Update the user interface".
    - Click ok.

PRMENDIR - MSFT

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi Prminder,

Many thanks for your response.

However, we do intend to upgrade to the 2010 look and feel and know how to do this, but once the 2010 look and feel is applied ... all the lists and libraries lose the toolbars (ie, new item, actions etc).    SP2010 still has the option to show a toolbar but switches them all off by default.

It doesn't sound like there is a way of telling the farm to retain them or 'show toolbar' by default which is very frustrating.   Looks like I will be spending a month putting them all back manually ;-)  

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:00 AM