none
Consolidated Project subproject corruption/unanticipated results/massive and ongoing problems RRS feed

  • Question

  • Consolidated Project. Project 2013 Standard. 14 inserted subprojects. 5K WBS tasks.

    When executing an action - say outdenting the subproject or a summary task within a subproject - entire activity groups become corrupted. Onetime I opened (to all subtasks - about 50 or so) that summary task (about halfway down the WBS) and Project moved the entire activity to the very top of the consolidated project, and that set of about 50 tasks, lacking any hierarchy or predecessor links, but retaining their WBS subproject ID #s, was copied to the very bottom of the entire WBS, below EOJ for the project, appearing in the GANNT as orphans. Another time one summary task with 8 summary tasks with a total of 14 tasks, each with correct predecessor links. I outdented the (1-level-higher) summary. ALL of the sub-tasks disappeared, and the 8 summary tasks became tasks without any predecessor links (logical as their sub-tasks disappeared). I looked across the project and this seems to have happened simultaneously at about 8 different (but identical) activities - but NOT to the other 34 identical activities... I have re-built this project twice now from the individual projects, and the above corruption continues without any seeming rhyme or reason. I have gone one-level past that (the subprojects are near-identical) and have re-built the subprojects, then re-linked in the consolidated project. Same problems.  Seems like a bug. Not sure what kicks it off. It seems linked to outdent/indent, it seems to happen randomly, it affects only parts of the other subprojects but not all of them, even though there are 42 identical iterations of this particular structure - only about 8 are affected. But other actions may also be causing it - I haven't been able to track exactly what blows it up other than the one time of the activity in example 1, above when it moved the entire activity to the top of the project. The corruptions of the various identical structures have occurred about 3-4 times now and though they MAY be linked to the outdent problem (of which I have been doing some as the project schedule has been changed), but I am not sure.

    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.


    • Edited by DaveCavena Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:43 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:42 PM

Answers

  • Dave,

    The problem with dynamic master files is that they are prone to corruption and it sounds like you are experiencing that problem. The linking structure in a dynamic master is very fragile. For starters, none of the files in the structure should ever be moved, renamed, overwritten, or saved off to another location. All files in the structure should also be in a single folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

    I don't know if you ever did any of those things, but if you are editing the hierarchy (i.e. indenting or outdenting) at master level, you could well be corrupting the linked structure. That's not the kind of editing that should be done at master level. Editing at master level, if done at all, should be limited to changes in data (e.g. moving start date, change duration, etc.).

    Is there a good reason why you feel you need a dynamic master? A much better choice is to build a static master (i.e. uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project Window. Edit the subproject hierarchy as required at subproject level and then build a static master if you need to view the whole structure.

    John

    • Marked as answer by DaveCavena Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:29 AM

All replies

  • Dave,

    The problem with dynamic master files is that they are prone to corruption and it sounds like you are experiencing that problem. The linking structure in a dynamic master is very fragile. For starters, none of the files in the structure should ever be moved, renamed, overwritten, or saved off to another location. All files in the structure should also be in a single folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

    I don't know if you ever did any of those things, but if you are editing the hierarchy (i.e. indenting or outdenting) at master level, you could well be corrupting the linked structure. That's not the kind of editing that should be done at master level. Editing at master level, if done at all, should be limited to changes in data (e.g. moving start date, change duration, etc.).

    Is there a good reason why you feel you need a dynamic master? A much better choice is to build a static master (i.e. uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project Window. Edit the subproject hierarchy as required at subproject level and then build a static master if you need to view the whole structure.

    John

    • Marked as answer by DaveCavena Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:29 AM
  • Well, that explains that. I didn't know of its fragility. I'd used master projects years ago in a far less complex manner and not experienced these troubles. I'd done the opposite - erroneously evidently: Linked them and done ALL editing in the master. Bummer. Now that I know I'll go rebuild for reporting and scheduling, but do all changes in the individual subs. (I do keep them all in the same directory on my PC - thanks.)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Dave,

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    Just to be clear, master/subproject structures can be successfully created and managed in Project but the required file management discipline is intense and generally not compatible with how users typically manage their Project files.

    John

    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:42 PM