Error while Installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

error listed below while installing Vista in my lap top. Tried with the CD and restarted but no fixture, the errror came up again.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem - insert windows installation disc and do the following

(1) Insert the Windows installation disc & restart the computer

(2) Choose language & click next

(3) Click repair your computer

File:\Windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers\SSIDRV.SYS

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

Please help me with this.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me!

Sincerely,

Shiva

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hello Shiva,

Thanks for your post!

Generally, these problems related to missing or corrupt critical system file require a fix by the installation disk, just as the prompt tells. According to your description, however, the installation disk fails to fix this error, so I performed a research for that.

Based on my research, SSIDRV.SYS is not a driver built into system32\drivers\, but a driver for an anti-malware application called Spy Sweeper. In a few cases, some malwares may camouflage themselves as SSIDRV.SYS too.

Accordingly, please try the following methods, depending on different scenarios:

1.    If there is another operating system in your computer, for example Windows XP. Please confirm whether you have installed Spy Sweeper or similar anti-virus or anti-malware applications in this operating system. Please uninstall it before checking this issue again.

2.    If there is another operating system in your computer, but you have never installed these applications, please perform a whole scan of the hard disk, in case of any virus or malware. The following two tools are recommended:

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

Windows Live OneCare online scan:
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/howsafe.htm?s_cid=mscom_msrt

3.    If you don’t have any system in your computer before installing Windows Vista. Please go to BIOS to check if any anti-virus or anti-malware configuration is enabled. You may also contact the manufacturer of motherboard or computer to report this issue and ask for instructions about modifying BIOS configuration.

If the problem still persists. Please let me know, I’m happy to assist you.

Nice day! Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:53 AM