Hammock tasks and Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a hammock task for a project that resides on Project Server.

(I am using Project 2013 and Project Server 2010)

I can create the hammock, but when I try to check in the file I get an error saying:

"Saving the file to the Project Web App will remove all links to resources in the file.

Do you want to continue?

To continue and lose all resource OLE or DDE links, click Yes."

How do I save the file and keep the links that create the hammock?

Cheers

Tim

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you can't use Hammock tasks (using OLE links) when saving your project in WEBDAV folders. Sorry.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Unfortunately the hammock task uses the OLE linking (Object Linking and Embedding) which is not supported in IE, thus the hammock tasks cannot be managed in PWA, only in Project Pro.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

could you please clarify? Are you using 2010 or 2013? I am not aware of any issues with Hammock tasks for both servers.

The environment you are mentioning does not work at all. Connecting Project client 2013 to Project Server 2010 is not supported and will not work.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Sunday, May 4, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Evenif it isn't clear which version you are using (since 2010 and 2013 cannot be used together), it appears from your error message "Saving the file to the Project Web App" that you are trying to create hammock tasks from PWA.

In case I'm right, note that you cannot edit/create OLE links from PWA, you need to use MS Project Pro for creating hammock tasks.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:53 PM
  • I think Tim tries to save his project containing hammock tasks (which he created via Project Professional 2013) into PWA.
    AFAIK hammock dates are maintained via OLE, so his problem is probably that the linking between the hammock dates and their sources will be broken after saving to PWA.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hello,

I use MSP2013. I have some hammock tasks whtin my project.

After moving my file (.mpp)  from my computer to a teamplace, I can't create anymore a hammock task, I have this message : 

"you cannot create links from a project file taht exists on a Web folder to another file."

Do you have an idea why ?

thanks for your help.

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Are your hammock task's links within the same project? Or did you created links with different files?

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

you can't use Hammock tasks (using OLE links) when saving your project in WEBDAV folders. Sorry.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

My hammock  tasks are in the same project.

If I want to create new hammock tasks in the project, i need to copy the .mpp file to my computer, create new hammock task, and then copy back my file to the teamplace.

Seems to be a bugg ?

BR,

Laurent

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

do you mean there is another way to create hammock tasks (without using OLE links) ?

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:19 PM
  • No, it is just how it works. OLE links are not supported on WebDav, so Hammock tasks are not supported. The only way I know, is the way you describe: copy to a network share or locally, modify, save and copy back to Web folder. Since it has never been an option for me, I did not mention - sorry for that.

Barbara

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:22 PM
  • In addition to Barbara's excellent answer, I'd mention that the OLE links used for hammock tasks are kept if the project file is stored in a Sharepoint librairy. This could be an acceptable workaround for you.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:35 PM
  • I am using MS Project Server 2013 and MS Project Pro 2013.  I can create the OLE link in MS Project Pro and my hammock tasks function.  When I save and publish to PWA, the hammocks do not function in the PWA environment, but the do function if I re-open the project in Project Pro.  Is there any way to have a Hammock Task function in PWA?

Bob Weller Deloitte Consulting

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:29 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Unfortunately the hammock task uses the OLE linking (Object Linking and Embedding) which is not supported in IE, thus the hammock tasks cannot be managed in PWA, only in Project Pro.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:34 AM