Need help to restore RRS feed

• Question

• my explorer.exe doesnt start at startup. windows opens with nothing but a black screen and my documents
    i have to start explorer.exe from task manager then it will start running but not as fast as before.
    what can i do without loosing my datas in c: where all my files and windows stored.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:08 AM

All replies

• This problem can be caused by ‘malware’ but check this registry key before running your ‘anti‘ programs.

Check the key by going to the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation marks).

If it’s not there, create it by clicking Edit > New > String Value then right-click it and type explorer.exe then restart the computer.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:58 PM
  • it is there and i also did open safemode and sytem repair(from f8)
    nothing changed.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:32 AM
  • As I said previously your error can be caused by malware, have you run your 'anti' programs?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:49 PM
  • I already used my 'anti' progs before asking.

TechNet-Men by Bran you mean?

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:30 PM
  • I think TechNet-Men means what version of Vista - but frankly I don't think it matters with this problem. This is probably the same with all versions.

I assume you tried booting to the last known good configuration and that didn't work.  Another thread here talked about a black screen and that was given as the confirmed answer.

Try doing a windows repair by booting to the OS CD. To do this you may need to change the BIOS setting to first look at the CD in the boot sequence. When it comes up select install windows (not recovery) and two screens later you'll see an option for a clean install or a repair. Choose R for repair and then let it do its thing. Make sure you have the 25 digit product code before you start or you're screwed. By doing the repair, you may fix whatever problem is causing explorer.exe not to start at startup. You're lucky you can get to task manager to start it that way - it could be an entirely black screen. BTW, this will not affect your programs or files (except to fix any Windows files that might be missing or corrupted).

This will work with any version of Windows Vista you're using (or with XP for that matter). I'm not sure if it will fix the problem, but it's helped me many times with problems I couldn't otherwise fix manually.

Incidentally, this does sound like some form of malware (a virus or spyware or a worm or something) caused this (or some corrupt program or something corrupt in the registry). I'd try downloading the free trial editions at the major vendors (and then cancel them once you've run them and fixed whatever you find). Try Symantec, Trend Micro, McAfee, and Pandasoft.  It may be a hassle downloading and running all these programs, but it may be worth it if it finds and fixes an infection.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:43 PM
  • If you’re absolutely sure it’s not malware, try running the System File Checker (SFC) from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’.

Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. This may take some time and, depending upon your installation of Windows, you may have to put the DVD in the drive.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:10 PM
  • What i am trying to say is what is your brand of your laptop
    If it is a pacard Bell is, i can help you!

-TechNet Men
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:38 PM
  • hp dv 6500 series

and in my coountry most of the major supliers doesnt giving windows cd's since Win vista so i also dont have one.

my parents got the laptop and when they are buying i specifically told them to told the buyer that i want the cd but thet replied them it is inside the computer(as we know recovery disk(wich BTW i hate)) so in this case what can i do shoul i download win vista illegally?? did they really want us use illegal products why cant they just do the job right?

and i will try sfc/scannow command today afternoon.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Getting and illegal copy isn''t going to work because of the activation process - it's pretty sophisticated and very hard to bypass.  You can get one with a "valid" activation code to get the PC running but it won't check out as genuiune and you won't get any updates which is bad. Perhaps you should wait for Windows7 and upgrade to it with a legal copy when it comes out next month - then at least you won't be wasting money on software you already own and getting the latest version at the same time (though IMHO, I prefer to wait for SP1 or SP2 before I install a Microsoft product because the first releases have so many bugs).

The Ptroduct Code may be on the machine on a label on the bottom of the laptop.  If not there, you can try Computer, System properties - though i think only the first 15 keys show up there and that's worthless without all 25. I say this because if you have the code, then all you need to do is find someone with the same product and use their disk with your code (if you know anyone who has the exact same version).

The sft /scannow (note the space in the command - it's necessary) program does essentially the same thing as a repair using files already on your computer but depending on the configuration or the problem it finds, it sometimes asks for the disk (but not always so it's worth a try).

I've been doing some further research and if you have any Roxio, Sonic, or Magic ISO products installed on your PC you should uninstall them because they've been shown to cause this problem due to compatablility issues which were supposedly fixed with SP1 but I've read from people who have SP1 and still had the problem (that is if you can get in far enough to do this - perhaps it might be possible in safe mode).

Good luck and I hope this works for you. I know this is a vexing problem but a lot of people seem to have it and so a fix is likely to show up at some point (which I know you don't really care to hear now that your PC is acting up and it has been going on for a long time so if the fix was easy it would already be done). Let us know if it works for you so others can know and possibly make use of it to repair their own systems.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:10 PM
  • i already have the cdkey
    and microsoft started to use enduers as testers since xp(or it seems like that)

i can try finding a vista cd from my frinds but i dont have any hope to find it froom them too...

an i am trying sft/scannow now :D
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:01 AM
  • sft/scannow didnt work
    i have roxio mydvd basic v9 should i erase it(i am usig it to burn cds/dvds)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Yes, uninstall it.  And any Sonic or Magic ISO programs as well. They've been listed as being incompatable with Vista by some people on these threads - or causing this type of problem (not all of them but if it happens with some and you're having a problem then i'd be suspicious of all). It probably loads something at startup to get it to work properly and that might be what's causing the problem (let's cross our fingers).

I agree that Microsoft sends products out too early - before they've been adequately tested.  I never install an OS until at least SP1 has been released (I waited for SP2 with Vista). I'll do the same with Window7.

After that, I don't know what to suggest. It covers just about every proposed answer I've seen in these threads (except a clean install but you can't do that without the disk). Maybe an MVP or someone from MSFT will reply and provide a suggestion (but at this point it doesn't seem likely).

Good luck. Maybe you should go back to XP just so you can use your PC.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:56 PM