none
DPM 2010 on Domain Controller? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

That is correct, if DPM is installed on a DC, it can only protect local data sources. It's designed for remote offices that only have a single machine running as a DC.

You could install DPM in a Hyper-V guest and create LUNS on the san and configure them as pass thru disks for the DPM Servers Storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That is correct, if DPM is installed on a DC, it can only protect local data sources. It's designed for remote offices that only have a single machine running as a DC.

You could install DPM in a Hyper-V guest and create LUNS on the san and configure them as pass thru disks for the DPM Servers Storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:58 PM
  • If I installed DPM on a virtual machine, am I still able to backup the virtual host server itself?
    Ironically the servers are installed in the SAN so we actually want to back them up to large disk capacity on the managment server and not store anothe copy on the SAN.  If I setup DPM to run virtually under the management server do I also have to have local disks for the Server Storage pool or can it be a network share?

Thanks 

Friday, April 1, 2011 3:54 PM
  • The DPM storage pool disks must be either iSCSI attached disks or Pass thru disks.

The following 4 types of disk configuration are supported as DPM storage pool:

A) Pass-through disk with host direct attached storage (DAS)
    B) Pass-through FC LUN which is attached to host.
    C) Pass-through iSCSI LUN which is attached to host.
    D) iSCSI Target LUN which is connected to DPM VM directly.

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:52 PM