none
DPM 2010 Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm a newby to using DPM 2010 but all the same, my boss has tasked me with getting it all working smoothly.

First my questions, then my issues.

1. DPM 2010 doesnt seem to offer an option to specify when to incrementally back-up and when to do a complete backup. How do I set incremental backups for say Weekly changes in a 4 week cycle?

2. What would the expected time be for backing up say 2 TB of data onto a LTO-5 Tape?

Now my issues,

I am attempting to backup 1.6TB of data on a 3TB tape, it takes around 12.5hours and when I get into work its thrown an error.  I tried co-location settings, the folders are all located in 1 protection group so its not a retention issue, the pagefiles on the servers are large enough, ram is fine, bandwidth between the 2 servers is fine.

1. What would the problem be for it throwing the error 24050?

2. What could the problem be with the speed it takes to back up? 12hours seems a bit lengthy to me

Thanks in advance guys and girls!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:58 AM

Answers

• Can you tell if backup job, that failed with error 24050, had written any data on tape or it was just waiting without writting any thing?

If it has written some data earlier it might be case that the tape became full and it was waiting for a new free tape. In this case you can see a waiting for free tape alert active and then it would have got resolve when backup task failed.

Thanks,

Niraj Kalamkar [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• In answer to part 1:

When you are setting up your protection group seelct the data protection method as "I want short-term protection using: Tape" then under the Specify short-term goals, select the backup mode as "Full and Incremental backups", you can then specify the day you want to schedule the full and when incrementals will be performed.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:17 PM
  • We backup 22.5TB to four LTO5 drives which takes a little over 17.5 hours for all of the jobs to finish.  Most of the data is backed up under 16 hours; a single 700GB job runs at the end for ~2 hours. 

The server is a Dell R510 w/ 48GB RAM and 36x 2TB 6Gb NL-SAS disks.  The disks are split into three 12-disk RAID6 volumes.  Each RAID6 group has two 9TB virtual disks.  The tape library is a Dell TL4000 (IBM library) w/ four 6Gb SAS LTO5 drives.  The protected data is spread across two PG's.  Both PG's are set to do compression and use two tape drives.  Each PG has three volumes in it, so 6 tape jobs are launched during our weekly backup.  Two jobs from each PG are run immediately with one job from each waiting for a free drive. 

So far we have not had performance issues with DPM on this hardware. 

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Can you tell if backup job, that failed with error 24050, had written any data on tape or it was just waiting without writting any thing?

If it has written some data earlier it might be case that the tape became full and it was waiting for a new free tape. In this case you can see a waiting for free tape alert active and then it would have got resolve when backup task failed.

Thanks,

Niraj Kalamkar [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

What is the data type being backed up ?   large SQL DB's or Hyper-V guests will backup much quicker than millions of small files.

CLOSING POST - NO REPLY..

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:24 PM