none
Restoring an entitre server - best practice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking at performing a DR test and am looking for information about restoring an Exchange 2007 server to a different location.

I backup the Virtual Server (VMWare) using Backup Exec. I have taken a snapshot of the server also. My question is can I simply shut done the current server and then restore the server from backup to my DR location and power it up. I will then change the IP address to that subnet etc..

Will this cause any problems regarding AD or should it be ok. Once this has been completed I will shutdown the DR server and power back up the original server.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• What version, service pack and update rollup level of Exchange are we asking about?

In general, that method of backing up Exchange is not supported for various reasons.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply.

It is Ex2k7 SP3 Roll up 7.

Is there any reason you can think of as to why doing a full bacup / restore of the VM would not work?

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:20 PM
  • I Agree with ED. Snapshot/Disk/Image Backups are not supported. The only type of backups supported when it comes to exchange server are Streaming backups or VSS Backups.

In case if you are performing a DR Test, have you considered SCR as you have Exchange 2007 SP3?

If you don't want to configured SCR, you may consider using 3rd Party software like "Doube Take" for DR Testing implementation.?

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Hi MPK,

As far as I am aware Backup Exec 2012 uses VSS technology and is exchange aware. What I am trying to clarify is if I restore the exchange VM from a previous backup will Active Directory have any problems. 

Thanks.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:26 PM