none
How to assign a task for partial days RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to figure out how to assign a resource to a task that is going to take 1.5 days and then have that same resource start on another task that same day without Project auto scheduling it for the next day. 

I haven't been able to find an answer because I'm having a hard time describing my situation...

I have a task that is set to start on 7/17/2012 and is going to take 12 hours so Project correctly sets the finish data as 7/18/2012. The same resource has an 8 hour task to start on 7/18/2012 and end on 7/19/2012 but Project sets both the start date and finish date to 7/18/2012 and marks the resource as overallocated. 

In my mind... 

Task 1 (12 Hours): Start 7/17, End 7/18 and I still have 4 hours for the day

Task 2 (8 Hours): Start 7/18, End 7/19 since I had 4 hours available the previous day and I only want to use 4 hours from this day.

I hope it makes sense to someone and can point me in the right direction.  

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi ALex,

you have to use dateformat with hours in this case. I assume your tasks have no FS dependency, otherwise this issue would not happen. I assume your first task has 7/18 as finish date, at 12:00. However, your second task starts on the same day at 8am., so resource is overallocated in the morning, and is free in the afternoon.

The easiest way would be to create a dependency between tasks, if this makes sense. Project will schedule your second task at 1p.m. automatically and overallocation is gone.

Or you change your date format (temporarily?) and change time accordingly:
    File - Options - General - Date Format. Choose a foramt with time, like the top entry.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by alexp03 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Project does it automatically, still, if its not doing it for you, you can do it manually in time phased sheet in Task Usage or Resource Usage . Let us know which version of Project you are using 2007 or 2010?

Also, check in leveling option that overallocation is set at default - day by day or changed to someother value like hour by hour or minute by minute.

Sapna S

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi ALex,

you have to use dateformat with hours in this case. I assume your tasks have no FS dependency, otherwise this issue would not happen. I assume your first task has 7/18 as finish date, at 12:00. However, your second task starts on the same day at 8am., so resource is overallocated in the morning, and is free in the afternoon.

The easiest way would be to create a dependency between tasks, if this makes sense. Project will schedule your second task at 1p.m. automatically and overallocation is gone.

Or you change your date format (temporarily?) and change time accordingly:
    File - Options - General - Date Format. Choose a foramt with time, like the top entry.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by alexp03 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Project does it automatically, still, if its not doing it for you, you can do it manually in time phased sheet in Task Usage or Resource Usage . Let us know which version of Project you are using 2007 or 2010?

Also, check in leveling option that overallocation is set at default - day by day or changed to someother value like hour by hour or minute by minute.

Sapna S

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Both approaches seems to work, both creating a dependency and changing the date format to hours. I'm going to play around with both to see which one is best suited for me. Thank you for you help!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Hi Alex,

glad to read, good luck!

Barbara

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:48 PM