colors lost after editing embedded XLS in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a user which is using an embedded xls within Outlook.
    When he copy pastes this content, all styles are retained. (background color etc)

When you doubleclick the embedded xls, and then click next to it again (change focus), the background colors are lost.

Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2016

I can simulate by inserting an xls table into a new mail, change background color of rows, change focus again > background row color lost
    I simulate it with an Outlook 2013 client.

We already enabled this option "reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message" > no  joy
    Friday, March 15, 2019 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi D_Goossens,

How do you embed the .xls file to Outlook?

>>I can simulate by inserting an xls table into a new mail ……I simulate it with an Outlook 2013 client.

Do you click Insert > Table > Excel Spreadsheet or paste the table directly to email body?

Would you mind providing detailed steps to reproduce this issue so I can do more research?

We can first try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Any updates, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 18, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Hi
    The user uses copy/paste to paste content of an email template which holds colors formatted tables.

I can simulate the same via :

* Create new email
    * select insert > table > excel worksheet 
    * then insert some data and change background color of cells
    * then click somewhere next to the table within the email, or click in the to: field (mainly change focus)
    > color formatting is gone

When you doubleclick the xls again to edit, you can see the background color again, but when focus changed again, the colors are gone.

Monday, March 18, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi D_Goossens,

Thank you for the update.

I tested this issue on my Outlook 2013 MSO (15.0.5119.1000) and currently cannot reproduce here. Color and formatting remain when I click on “To” or other fields.

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2013? Please install the newest updates to see the results.

Besides, have you tried safe mode? Will it work?

>>When you doubleclick the xls again to edit, you can see the background color again, but when focus changed again, the colors are gone.

If we send the message out, will background color show correctly?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi D_Goossens,

I'm writing to see if you've found a fix.

Friday, March 22, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Hi Peter!

Not yet. I will be onsite again on monday.

Friday, March 22, 2019 5:48 AM
  • No problem~

Friday, March 22, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply.
    We have Office 2013 ProPlus
    15.0.5119.1000 , MSO 15.0.5119.1000, which will be the same one you are using.

I have the same when using /safe

I really need to click insert > table > excel worsheet within the email
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

If we send the message out, will background color show correctly?

In case it was related with personal settings, please create a new profile to test the result.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:05 AM
  • hi Perry

Recreating the profile does not help, and when sent the colors are indeed also lost

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:15 AM
  • If you directly edit a sheet in Excel and then paste it to Outlook, can table show correctly?

Do you have any antivirus software running on this PC? In case it was related with their integration with Outlook client, please temporarily close them to test the result.  

In addition, we can also repair Office to see if there were any improvements. To do this, please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit and then choose Change. Click Repair.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, March 29, 2019 9:30 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2019 4:50 AM