Server Node Keeps Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I go to the synchronizations tab, or try to view more than a handful of updates, such as choosing to view updates with Any Status, my Server Node Crashes, and I'm not sure why. 

Synchronization has always crashed from the very beginning of the build, when there was only 1 or 2 synchronizations listed.

Here is the error

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkUpdatePropertiesCache.GetAndCacheUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.UpdatesListPage.GetListRows()

I've done what it's recommended, but this is a brand new build, using Server 2019.  It's done it right from the very beginning.

It's on a Dell VX Rail with the following Specs

Xeon Gold 5118 2.3GHz, 2295 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors
    16GB RAM

256GB SSD System Drive
    2TB SSD Data Drive

These Specs should be MORE than enough to run a WSUS environment.  Our Environment won't have more than 500 Assets in it. 

Can anyone advise me as to what I need to do to get this running?  Thanks

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all your help everyone.  I found a solution in a Database Cleanup Script that can be located here

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/archives_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/02/11/wsus-timeout-errors--wsus-database-maintenance.

Running this resolved the issue.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:00 PM

All replies

• Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc.?

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Quoting myself:

Just because you’ve installed a new WSUS server, doesn’t mean that it’s clean or optimized; it just means that it’s NEW!

If you're comfortable with SQL:

DELETE FROM tbEventInstance WHERE EventNamespaceID = '2' AND EVENTID IN ('381', '382', '384', '386', '387', '389')

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:20 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Have you tried modifying the WSUS server to perform private memory for the WSUS application pool in IIS:

• (1)  On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager.
      (2)  Click 'Application Pools' is in the Connections list.
      (3)  Right click 'WsusPool' and select 'Advanced Settings…'
             'General' - 'Queue Length' : 25,000.
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Service Unavailable' Response: TcpLevel
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Failure Interval (minutes)' : 30
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Maximum Failures' : 60
             'Recucling' - 'Private Memory limit' : x4 times, or set to 0 (unlimited).
      (4)  Click 'ok' to save and restart the server.

After completing the above changes, if you can enter the WSUS console normally, please consider first executing the Server Cleanup Wizard (located in Console > Options > Server Cleanup Wizard), which may take some time to complete, and may also crash Crash again, but periodically clean up It is very necessary.
    You can also consider server cleanup via script: "WSUS Cleanup".

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:10 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:09 AM
  • Thanks for all your help everyone.  I found a solution in a Database Cleanup Script that can be located here

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/archives_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/02/11/wsus-timeout-errors--wsus-database-maintenance.

Running this resolved the issue.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:00 PM