none
Question / Project 2007 / Confusion about start and end times for work day RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, working in MS Project 2007.

While working on an unrelated issue, I noticed that Project was assigning work units incorrectly due to confusion about the start of the working day. Basically, my tasks were starting at 8:30 am, and until I switched them to start at 8:00 am, the work units would not be assigned correctly.

However, as I looked at this in more detail, I'm now confused. We have an 8-hour work day, 8:30 - 5:00 with a 30-min lunch. If I go into Tools >> Options >> Calendar, it shows:

• Default Start Time: 8:30 am
    • Default End Time: 5:00 pm
    • Hours per Day: 8:00
    • Hours per Week: 40.00
    • Days per month: 20

Sounds right to me. However, when I go into "Change Working Time," the project calendar says:

"Working times for November 28th, 2011:

• 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
    • 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Based on: Default work week on calendar 'Standard'."

To me, this calendar should reflect the first information I mentioned above. But they don't, and as a result the work units don't calculate as expected. How can I make the individual calendars reflect the actual work day?

Edit: Rather, I think I should do this by editing the "Details" of the Work Weeks of the calendars in question, but since they are set to "Use Project Default Times for these days," I don't understand where they are picking up the 8-5 instead of the 8:30 - 5:00 times.

Thanks!

~Steve

• Edited by sbattisti Monday, November 28, 2011 8:56 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Tools/Options/Calendar just sets the default values, it does not set the working hours. You will need to change the standard calendar work hours for your work times or create your own calendar. Go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 5 - Default Working Hours.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:59 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Tools/Options/Calendar just sets the default values, it does not set the working hours. You will need to change the standard calendar work hours for your work times or create your own calendar. Go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 5 - Default Working Hours.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Steve,

Hope this helps.

John

Haha, I snuck an "edit" into my original post, but I suspect it didn't get there before you replied! I pretty much came to the same conclusion, although I do wish that when you created a new calendar in Project it would inherit your default values...

Thanks very much for your help!

~Steve

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Steve,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

If the user one uses one calendar for all tasks and resources then your "wish" makes sense, automatically apply the default values to the calendar. However, Project has the ability, and many users need, to have multiple calendars for a given project. In those cases, where should the default values apply?

A similar condition applies to the default days per month. For a few months 20 days works fine but for other months it doesn't. That's why we recommend users work with hours or days for duration and work values.

Yes Project could have more flexibility in those areas but for whatever reason the developers have not yet decided to provide full calendar flexibility. But who knows, that could change in future releases. For now, we live with what we have and learn how to use it for our needs.

If you feel this question has been answered please mark it so. That way it will clear out of the open category. Julie proposed my answer as appropriate but you could also say you answered it yourself. Your choice.

John

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:01 PM