Re: Weird lock-out on certain features RRS feed

• Question

• Just the other day, I started to download a MMORPG game (Lord of the Rings Online), but stopped it halfway through, and then uninstalled it as I no longer wanted to go through with it. Since then, the laptop (running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) has prevented me from doing certain things that makes me believe it is some kind of registry error. 

I cannot download anything from the internet now as it tells me that I have insufficient permission (which is crap since I am the administrator), and when I try to put certain things into the recycle bin, it tells me I don't have the right permission. Also, I can no longer access several programs, including ProFantasy's Campaign Cartographer (which says, The item referred to by this shortcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions), and the short cut for Neverwinter Online. When I open a folder I haven't opened since then on the desktop, it says, You currently do not have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder. Then when I click Continue, it shows the browser window fill up with green, as if it's changing something, and I think it's in the security settings.

I tried having GeekSquad remote into my computer, but again, I cannot download anything from the internet, even in Safe Mode With Networking, as it says I have insufficient permission, so I can't download the applet needed for GeekSquad to get access. I ran MalwareBytes Anti-Root Kit, which found and destroyed the remains for the crapware weDownload Manager, and Kaspersky found and removed some malware labeled, not-a-virus:HEUR.AdWare.Win32.Yotoon.heur.

I can't even begin to guess what the frell happened, and why the UAC seems to have locked me out of certain things, or how to change it back. A system restore is out of the question, and it's been too long since I backed up the harddrive (about two or three months), so I can't restore previous settings, I think without losing stuff I've already worked on. 

Nor am I computer savvy enough to figure it out on my own. Please help me, Obi Wan Microsoft! You're my only hope!

Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you turn off UAC? Try it to check the result.

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
    2.To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

If this operation can't be allowed, try to reset the permission for Windows:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, April 7, 2014 2:47 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you turn off UAC? Try it to check the result.

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
    2.To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

If this operation can't be allowed, try to reset the permission for Windows:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, April 7, 2014 2:47 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 2:45 AM
  • Still doesn't work. I think the OS is corrupted deep in the registry. I had GeekSquad work on it by remoting in, and they took four hours to tell me that even they didn't know what was wrong. It's definitely not the UAC control/slider. I still can't download to the desktop, but I can download to a folder on the desktop. I have found no way to reset the permissions for downloads that work. Not internet options, not system settings, nothing. The only thing I can conclude is it is deep in the registry. Worse, I can't even use my ProFantasy software (Campaign Cartographer 3) because it is locked out, too. So, I think that if I can't find an answer, and soon, I'm just going to have to buy a new harddrive and do a fresh install for my OS, then drag everything over piece by piece (scanning all the while) so as not to bring over any remnants of the yotoon.heur trojan.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 3:31 AM