System (ntoskrnl.exe) consumes very high CPU usage at Win8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my laptop has become extremely slow and I figured out the system process named ntoskrnl.exe is consuming 60-80% of the cpu usage. I rebooted several times and closed all programmes but the problem persisted.

So I googled and found a number of victims experienced the same issue. And it seems the only action I can take is to install Windows Performace Toolkit and then have the report analyzed. You can download the report via http://1drv.ms/1xbs8Dr. Pls let me know what you need in addition to the report and I hope this problem can be fixed asap because it's making my laptop virtually useless...

Thank you.

• Edited by Walter1987 Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:31 PM

Answers

• Walter

From this trace it doesnt appear you were having a 60-80% cpu usage.  In fact in this trace it was under 20.  You were having a high HD rate but not excessive.  The highest cpu users was avp.exe which is related to your malware app.  YOu may also want to run a malwarebytes scan just to eliminate it as an issue.  Feel free to run another trace when you are experiencing the 60-80 % CPU.

BTW when did you get the configuration you used?

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
    Update it immediately.
    Do a full system scan
    Let us know the results at the end.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

According to the trace file

There's multiply thread under process "System", each thread holds some cpu usage, especially thread (TID)344 332 340 328 336 each holds 10% cpu in case.

I suggest you run Process Monitor and filter TID: 344 (for example) then see detailed information about this thread (please note that the TID might be different each time, depending on the realtime analysis in your system)

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Or use Process Explorer to find the related services

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:16 AM
  • I have figured out the cause of the problem and solved. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:23 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:27 PM
  • My problem was caused by the conflict between an online payment software called Alipay and Kaspersky Antivirus. When they are installed together, Kaspersky will start to consume a significant amount of CPU power. I uninstalled Alipay and then the problem was fixed. Hope this can help you.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:38 PM

All replies

• Walter

From this trace it doesnt appear you were having a 60-80% cpu usage.  In fact in this trace it was under 20.  You were having a high HD rate but not excessive.  The highest cpu users was avp.exe which is related to your malware app.  YOu may also want to run a malwarebytes scan just to eliminate it as an issue.  Feel free to run another trace when you are experiencing the 60-80 % CPU.

BTW when did you get the configuration you used?

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
    Update it immediately.
    Do a full system scan
    Let us know the results at the end.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:45 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Thanks for your reply. avp.exe is the process behind the Kaspersky AntiVirus and I have been using this software since I purchased my laptop last october so I don't think it is the culprit. However, I followed your instructions to install Malwarebytes, updated it immediately and runned a full system check and turned out no malware detected.

I think my trace failed to capture the effect of ntoskrnl.exe on the cpu usage last time so I preformed the trace again while I was experiencing >70% cpu usage. You can download the latest report via http://1drv.ms/1tbPlz1I also attached a screenshoot while ntoskrnl.exe was taking effect. My laptop is i3-3110M CPU@2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and 64bit.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

According to the trace file

There's multiply thread under process "System", each thread holds some cpu usage, especially thread (TID)344 332 340 328 336 each holds 10% cpu in case.

I suggest you run Process Monitor and filter TID: 344 (for example) then see detailed information about this thread (please note that the TID might be different each time, depending on the realtime analysis in your system)

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Or use Process Explorer to find the related services

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

I used process explorer to look into "System" and found out there are several "klflt.sys" have been consuming a significant amount of my cpu power. I figured out "klflt.sys" is located in my DRIVERS folder and related to Kaspersky Anti-Virus so I shut down the program to see if there was any change. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

When you shut down Kaspersky, please make sure that it is completely shut down (not running background).

And have you tried to view the TID in Process Monitor? Maybe we can find something new in that place.

Yolanda Zhu

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:53 AM
  • I have figured out the cause of the problem and solved. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:23 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:27 PM
  • I have a similar problem like yours that when i came into the network, the system process took more CPU usage then usual, recently.

I had reinstalled the network interface driver, but the problem still.

Could you kindly tell me how to solve your problem ? Or someone could me some help ? Thanks. 

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:29 AM
  • Edpexam

You should start your own thread and give as much information as you have.  I would run Windows performance recorder as instructed here

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows Performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:25 PM
  • My problem was caused by the conflict between an online payment software called Alipay and Kaspersky Antivirus. When they are installed together, Kaspersky will start to consume a significant amount of CPU power. I uninstalled Alipay and then the problem was fixed. Hope this can help you.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Walter

Thanks for letting us know

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:42 PM
  • I happen to have a enviroment like yours, maybe that is my problem too.I would follow your steps, and wish that could fix my problem too. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:25 AM
  • It's worked. Thanks Walter and other all, but I could not still figure out why or how it had happened for I didn't change my enviroments any recentnly but windows updates only.  Anyway my problem has gone, thanks again.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:36 AM