none
PAW : Removing unnecessary application and services from PAW RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a privileged Access workstation PAW for AD administration, and looking a list of application and services to remove.

Basically, we want to have a minimal OS install, with only the necessary services to run the RSAT, while keeping the machine secure, for sure, windows defender and firewall for example.

I have the following list of applications and services :

$Apppackages = "*3d*","*camera*","*communi*","*bing*","*zune*","*people*","*phone*","*photo*","*solit*",
    "*xbox*","*sway*","*onenote*","*office*","*store*","*skype*","*map*","*soundrecorder*",
    "*map*","*WindowsAlarms*","*GetStarted*"

$Services = "BluetoothUserService", "BthAvctpSvc","diagtrack", "diagsvc", "Lotus Notes Diagnostics",
    "MapsBroker","fhsvc","TrkWks","iphlpsvc","lmhosts","irmon","SharedAccess","PcaSvc","Spooler","WpcMonSvc","RemoteRegistry",
    "seclogon","lmhosts","WerSvc","StiSvc","FrameServer","wisvc","WSearch","AxInstSV","DmEnrollmentSvc",
    "DevicesFlowUserSvc_*","PrintWorkflowUserSvc_*","ssh-agent","WiaRpc","TapiSrv","PushToInstall"

Uninstall Onedrive

Is it safe to remove all these services ? are there any additional services and apps that should be removed ?

Thank you .

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

If you want to uninstall store application, we could run the following command line as administrator in PowerShell.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers *packagename* | Remove-AppxPackage

If you not know the exact name of appxpackage, we could use the following command to query.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

But for services, I would not recommend to uninstall or disabled them, as they would make affection on system usage such as BthAvctpSvc which is used to protect user files from accidental loss by copying them to a backup location. However, such as for MapsBroker and TrkWks which is not used for general system usage, and could be deleted. 

As there is not a services list ranking by security level released by Microsoft, so it would be difficult to say which should be removed.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Az_The IT Guy Friday, February 14, 2020 1:04 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

If you want to uninstall store application, we could run the following command line as administrator in PowerShell.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers *packagename* | Remove-AppxPackage

If you not know the exact name of appxpackage, we could use the following command to query.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

But for services, I would not recommend to uninstall or disabled them, as they would make affection on system usage such as BthAvctpSvc which is used to protect user files from accidental loss by copying them to a backup location. However, such as for MapsBroker and TrkWks which is not used for general system usage, and could be deleted. 

As there is not a services list ranking by security level released by Microsoft, so it would be difficult to say which should be removed.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Az_The IT Guy Friday, February 14, 2020 1:04 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:31 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

I think this something important that MS should look into, inmy opinion, having Candy Crash or even a mail client in a PAW doesn't make any sense. So, there should be a minimal iso image for such use cases.

For the following command : Get-AppxPackage -allusers *packagename* | Remove-AppxPackage

That's exactly what I used, I put the Appxpackage Names into a table and delete them, however some of them are still there, typically games such as Candy crash and gardenscapes ..., Spotify and Microsoft News ...

Is there a way to force delete all the apps using powershell.

Thanks

Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We could feedback our desire to Microsoft through Build-in application "Feedback Hub", Microsoft will improve based on customers' suggestion. 

For delete all build-in application through PowerShell, please run the following command line below as administrator. 

Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage

By the way, as I know, the force measure is using upper command line to remove, I have not heard any other measure have a more forceful measure. If you have any other issue, please reply to us. 

Bests,

Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:30 AM