none
cannot double click to view image RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Ok I have a few machines rolled out with Steady State on them.

I get a call saying that you cannot double click on a jpeg file and view it in what Microsoft uses as a default viewer. The default viewer is Microsoft photo editor. Keep in mind all was fine before steady state was installed.  All the units have the same problem. Once Steady State is installed you cannot double click to view an image as 99% of users do.

It gives a Microsoft Photo Editor error “No file format information can be found in the registry” and an OK button. When you click on “OK” Microsoft photo editor opens and you get another error that says “unknown file format. This is a fresh install of XP, fresh install of Steady State, brand new user created IN steady state. EVERYTHING IS FINE IF YOU LOGIN AS THE ADMINISTRATOR. You can double click on a sample pic and it opens in the Microsoft photo editor (as administrator). If you check the file associations they are correct.

This can be resolved by following the Knowledge Base Article ID 260151

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260151

I am not trying to explain the reason just provide a solution if anyone else experiences this behavior and does not notice it right away. If you read this and know why then maybe the registry could be automatically changed in the next release of Steady State 
    Friday, October 12, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your great sharing! Based on the above Knowledge Base article, the related registry permissions can be reset by some security programs. This can be a known issue of Photo Editor.

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:43 AM