Does Vista Keep a Problem Log? RRS feed

• Question

• My Vista x64 system often Restarts when I tell it to Sleep.  To begin to track this down I am looking for some log which Vista might keep which would tell me why Vista decided to Restart instead of Sleep.  

Thanks,  Bob

Friday, August 20, 2010 2:52 AM

Answers

• Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the Command Prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start up events and those in the 200 series are shut down events. I don’t know if restart events have a different series of numbers, but you should be able to match up the dates/times that your computer restarts on the log.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by eBob.com Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:07 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:42 AM
  • 1. Another way to view the log is via the conventional Event Viewer. Double-click on a 'red' error message, then click the Details Tab for an explanation of the error. More information is available by clicking the General Tab then at the bottom, Event Log Online Help.

2. Alternatively, you could make the log smaller, therefore easier, to read by clearing all the events so that just the current errors are shown. I suggest you save the existing Event.txt under a different name, clear the logs, set the machine to sleep and run wevtutil again.

Here is a way to clear all the logs in one pass, including the combined administrator log, by running this batch file as the Administrator http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/25480-event-viewer-one-click-clear.html?ltr=E

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest disabling the autorestart to troubleshoot the issue:

1.Click on Start, Type system in the search box and press Enter
    2.In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.
    3.Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
    4.In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
    5.Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

If it is a corrupt driver issue, you probably will get a bluescreen after disabling the auto restart option.

If so, you can collect the minidump file for further research. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by eBob.com Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:10 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the Command Prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start up events and those in the 200 series are shut down events. I don’t know if restart events have a different series of numbers, but you should be able to match up the dates/times that your computer restarts on the log.

Good luck.

Friday, August 20, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Thank you very much Burr.  I've done a search on wetutil and am working my way through many, many hits.  Do you know offhand if there is any way to get more readable output, in particular a tabular or spreadsheet arrangement?

Thanks again.  This is very helpful.

Bob

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Bob

Have you changed the Notepad settings, i.e. Format > Word Wrap to get a more meaningful listing?

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Yes.  It doesn't look bad.  I just think it might be easier to view/digest in a tabular, spreadsheet arrangement. 
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:32 PM
  • 1. Another way to view the log is via the conventional Event Viewer. Double-click on a 'red' error message, then click the Details Tab for an explanation of the error. More information is available by clicking the General Tab then at the bottom, Event Log Online Help.

2. Alternatively, you could make the log smaller, therefore easier, to read by clearing all the events so that just the current errors are shown. I suggest you save the existing Event.txt under a different name, clear the logs, set the machine to sleep and run wevtutil again.

Here is a way to clear all the logs in one pass, including the combined administrator log, by running this batch file as the Administrator http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/25480-event-viewer-one-click-clear.html?ltr=E

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest disabling the autorestart to troubleshoot the issue:

1.Click on Start, Type system in the search box and press Enter
    2.In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.
    3.Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
    4.In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
    5.Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

If it is a corrupt driver issue, you probably will get a bluescreen after disabling the auto restart option.

If so, you can collect the minidump file for further research. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by eBob.com Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:10 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Thank you very much Magon Liu.  I thought my system was Restarting instead of Sleeping.  I hadn't considered the possibility that it crashed while trying to Sleep and then Restarted because of AutoRestart.

BUT I can't follow your instructions on my Vista system.  When I click on my Vista "orb" and type "system" and hit enter I get a "System Configuration" dialog which has tabs "General", "Boot", "Services", "Startup", and "Tools".  

However, I searched for vista and autorestart and found some help here: https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=7049

But on my system I had to go to Control Panel, then System, then use the "Advanced system settings" on the left.

So ... I now have AutoRestart turned off.  

Thanks again Magon Liu.

Bob

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:10 PM