Sequencing an Application - Requires restart when installing RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings

I have an application that needs an restart to finish the installing

How can this be accommodated when i am installing on the sequencing server (Begin/Finish monitoring)

Any information is appreciated

Regards
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:59 PM

Answers

• Usually, there is no need for a reboot.  Tell the installer that you will reboot later.

Then you stop monitoring.  As part of that process, the sequencer will do the things that the installer asked the PC to do upon reboot -- but do them in the virtual environment.  Typically, this is to update a system dll that is (potentially( in use.  As it isn't in use in the virtual environment, there is no problem.

After that, you can hit the "start monitoring" button to continue any additional installations or customizations that you need.

Now if you have an app that insists on rebooting, let it.  The sequencer will catch it, prevent the actual reboot, and do the stop monitoring stuff.

Short answer:  Don't worry about it.  They got you covered!
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:08 PM

All replies

• Usually, there is no need for a reboot.  Tell the installer that you will reboot later.

Then you stop monitoring.  As part of that process, the sequencer will do the things that the installer asked the PC to do upon reboot -- but do them in the virtual environment.  Typically, this is to update a system dll that is (potentially( in use.  As it isn't in use in the virtual environment, there is no problem.

After that, you can hit the "start monitoring" button to continue any additional installations or customizations that you need.

Now if you have an app that insists on rebooting, let it.  The sequencer will catch it, prevent the actual reboot, and do the stop monitoring stuff.

Short answer:  Don't worry about it.  They got you covered!
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:08 PM
  • What if the piece of software you are trying to sequence requires a reboot before any updates are able to install. For instance, I have Adobe Pro 9 on my plate right now. I have 9.0 "installed" and I am trying to update it using the automatic updates feature under HELP. I get an error saying that a restart is required.

I tried to stop monitoring and start it again, but the pop-up keeps coming back. Any thoughts?

Monday, July 26, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Hello,

I would suggest you create your own thread where you describe your problem, what steps you have pursuied so far and your environment.

/Znack
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Hello,

I currently have a similar issue with trying to install AutoCAD 2010.  After reboot it wants to distribute a few files on the system and App-V isn't doing that part.

(This seems like an appropriate thread to post on given they are all reboot questions)

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Hello,

Your problem and Jeradw are probably not directly related - and the original poster received a very good answer that fully answer his question.

I would suggest to post your question in a seperate thread.

/Znack

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:54 PM