[Help] Windows 8.1 - Windows Update Cleanup not clearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I've been troubleshooting my MSI Laptop GE40 for quite awhile now, but I am just unable to find a solution online.

My laptop is running Windows 8.1, I was doing some cleaning up for my laptop using Disk Cleanup.

After running Disk Cleanup (With System Files), Windows Update files were showing 425mb. However, after checking it and it completed, it will still show 425mb if I run it again.

I've tried the following solutions from online, but it didn't work:

1. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

2. SFC /Scannow

3. ChkDisk

4. Microsoft FixIt (Windows update)

5. Disk Cleanup (Safe Mode / Administrator account)

It is quite annoying to have this issue surfacing, and the last thing I would do, is to reformat my laptop.

I've seen the post from one of your post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d486c5ef-02bb-42a8-8769-feb53af76ca7/disk-cleanup-windows-update-cleanup?forum=w8itprogeneral",

but it doesn't make sense that if the update is permanent, and not able to be removed, why is it appearing on the "Windows Update Cleanup"

I would appreciate if someone can assist me on this issue. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Orrpeesai,

We could use the TrustedInstaller.exe to clean up the update

To remove those update files, we need to start the TrustedInstaller by enabling something small, that isn't installed by default (like telnet):

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:TelnetClient

After the installation, TrustedInstaller will continue running waiting for 5-10 minutes to pass and for the machine to be "idle" and then start the scavenge routine. If "TrustedInstaller.exe" isn't running, it can be started with:     net start TrustedInstaller.
    After scavenge, the entries under PendingRenames and PendingDeletes should be cleared.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 3, 2014 3:09 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:51 AM