Vista Explorer crash RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 and recently it started messing up. after I use it for a while, Explorer crashes but it's not like any normal END TASK message - in fact, there's no message! the only way I know it has crashed is that I am able to go to START->MY COMPUTER and START->(MY USERNAME) but I am unable to access the C drive or any folders in *MY USERNAME* (documents, pictures, adresses, etc.) and also I cannot access the Internet (I assume it's because temp-data cannot be stored in inaccessible space) ---but there is 1 exception to that: once, I succesfully saved a .txt file while this was happening and I don't know what to make of that--- Explorer doesn't 'exit', it just stops working (I can still see the taskbar and it's still running under processes) but sometimes, my desktop icons disappear (because they are from the *USERNAME*->DESKTOP folder) and the only thing I can do is restart the computer (If I log off, then when I log back on, there are no Icons on the desktop - again, because the *USERNAME*->DESKTOP folder is inaccessible - so I just restart and that fixes it (but the shut-down part takes like 1-to-2 minutes whereas it used to take like 30 seconds) This started after I had left my computer on one day and I came back to it after a while and I saw the Blue Screen Of Death and it was 'preparing for a mini dump' and it never finished so I forced it off and after I turned it back on, this happened In full, I am not entirely sure if this is an Explorer crash because my computer is up-to-date and there is no error message, but it just happens and I'm wondering what I will be able to do.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:
    http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the explorer crashes, you can find a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your Skydrive and post the link here. I take at the dump, maybe I can see the cause.

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Thanks, but I think I figured out the problem (but I will do your suggestion as well)
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60P and Lenovo has a built-in Rescue and Recovery service.
    I had installed Acronis True Image Home which I researched and is apparently not compatible with Thinkpads because it tries to overwrite the F11 Recovery service.
    After reading other program entries (like Roxio not being compatible with MagicISO), I realized that this is probably the problem, but an uninstall did not fix the problem
    (3 crashes today) so I wil try what you said as well. 

Thank you very much
    ---AAred
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:03 AM
  • OK... I just had a crash and the folder did not appear, but I have more information on the subject:

1-the only areas of I can access are *USERNAME* and My Computer
    2-i cannot open any folders or drives there, but i can open other files
    3-programs still work but very slowly but i must use taskmanager to start them because of #4
    4-desktop icons and quick-launch icons go away.
    5-start menu icons go away except for the ones I added by dragging to the links I added (instead of internet and e-mail)
    6-I think I can access 'all programs' from Start (the only way to test is during a crash and I don't remember if I could)
    7-Google Chrome can access the internet, but crashes as soon as it loads a page
    8-I don't know about Firefox,but Internet Explorer works, but slowly
    9-all my power plans seem to do the same as Power Saver (they used to be different)
    10-(probably the most important) the crash happens when there is a strain in memory on the computer (when most computers would just start going slow enough to process info)

Here are some files from C:\Windows\Log if you want to check them out
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

could you please upload the MiniDumps from the folder Windows\Minidump to your SkyDrive and post the link here.

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I just checked and that folder is not there...

Monday, January 25, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hi,

you should see this folder C:\Windows\Minidump when you have a BSOD (like you wrote in your first post).

The C:\localdumps folder should be created when explorer crashes and should contain dmp files of the explorer. My reg file configures the Windows Error Reporting Service to create the folder and make a MiniDump ofthe explorer.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:13 PM
  • sorry I did not respond for so long...
    blue screen of death does not happen anymore, it just does not work. actually, its happening right now! the only accessible areas are MY COMPUTER and *USERNAME* (not any inside folders or drives)

I have an idea: if you want me to do anything while explorer is messed up (to test) then I can.
    also - i found that I can launch programs and I can save files (only to *USERNAME* folder)
    but I cannot open files AT ALL with explorer, but if I have an open program, I can use it to access files but only in the *USERNAME* folder.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Have you imported the reg file to the registry? Open regedit.exe and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe

Is this key there? What is the value of DumpFolder?

Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:08 PM