none
Project ID changed after use Microsoft Project to Replace the Existing Project RRS feed

• Question

• I found an issue when implementing Project Online (and Project Server 2019) to our customers.  Where, the Project ID will changed after user uses Microsoft Project Professional (or O365 version) to replace the existing project with same project name to Project Center.

The scenario is like this....

In Project Online (or Project Server 2019), we could set each Enterprise Project Type (EPT) to have their own Project ID format in PWA Settings.  Then, based on Project Online/Project Server 2019 behavior, we definitely need to set an EPT as Default EPT.  When user creates a project in Project Center, the Project ID for the new project will be generated by referring to EPT's Project ID format and padding number. 

However, things go wrong when user uses MS Project Pro/Project O365 to replace their offline Project Plan to existing Project Plan in Project Center that already created under an EPT (let's say EPT A), where the Project ID will be replaced with the new Project ID, and this new Project ID format is following the Default EPT Project ID format and not the "EPT A" format.  Due to the Default EPT Project ID has been "occupied" during the replacement, the next upcoming project that going to create under Default EPT no longer follow the correct sequence.

I refer back to MS Project Professional (or even O365 version), that's is no way for me to amend the Project ID before replacement.  Or, may be I miss-out in somewhere?  I surfing in the internet and found the similar issue has been shared 2 years ago (https://www.epmpartners.com.au/blog/project-id-number-changed/). 

Based on our customer's nature of business, some of the users need to work offline, where they are working deep in forest or on sea/ocean without any connection to Project Online/Project Server 2019.

Appreciate if you could share any solution/idea here. 

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:42 AM