none
Internet Explorer Hangs When Using Send Link By Email RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that used the Send Link by Email function within IE for years without issue. We recently upgraded the user from Office 2010 and IE 9 to Office 2013 and IE 10. This update caused IE to hang when she used the Send Link function. It wouldn't hang until she hit send in Outlook and Outlook wouldn't hang at all. The email would go through, but IE would hang and need to be restarted/killed through Task Manager. I am running Win8.1 while she is on 7, and the function works fine for me, but I don't think that is the issue. 

There is nothing showing up in Event Viewer that would tip me off to a solution. I checked and unchecked Cached Exchange Mode and this changed nothing. She is up to date with her updates for Windows and Office. I updated her to IE 11 in case IE 10 was causing the issue, as I can use the Send Link by Email function fine with Office 2013/IE 11.

The thing that is odd is when Outlook is started in safe mode (outlook.exe /safe), everything works perfectly. I checked her add-ins against my add-ins and they are the same; again, I am able to use the Send Link as Email function with no issue.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I am missing?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the issue was gone in Outlook safe mode, it indicates the issue is caused by add-ons, please disable the add-ons one by one to clarify which one is culprit.

If the issue persists,

we could follow these steps to repair Office itself to check the result either :

1. Click Start->Control Panel ->Programs->Programs and Features;
    2. Click the Office program you want to repair, then click Change;
    3. Click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

Note: you might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by MaxxSound Friday, July 25, 2014 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy Wales Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:25 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:01 AM

All replies

• Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I am missing?

You could trace both cases using ProcMon and compare the traces for their essential differences.  You might even get a clue by using the Developer Tools, Network capture in both cases.  And add that extra diagnostic to your ProcMon traces too.  Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:59 AM
    Answerer
  • Would I want to filter for only outlook.exe and iexplore.exe process names? This is my first time running a ProcMon trace for something like this; thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:35 PM
  • Would I want to filter for only outlook.exe and iexplore.exe process names?
    Sure, if you think those are the only two processes involved.  Since you are comparing two similar cases you could filter very coarsely at first to try to find a significant divergence.  E.g. filter on just Network events.  Use the buttons instead of the filter dialog for that.  However, for that case I think you may find that other processes get involved than just the clients.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Since the issue was gone in Outlook safe mode, it indicates the issue is caused by add-ons, please disable the add-ons one by one to clarify which one is culprit.

If the issue persists,

we could follow these steps to repair Office itself to check the result either :

1. Click Start->Control Panel ->Programs->Programs and Features;
    2. Click the Office program you want to repair, then click Change;
    3. Click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

Note: you might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Karen Hu

• Proposed as answer by MaxxSound Friday, July 25, 2014 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ziggy Wales Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:25 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will try them all and let you all know how it goes. It is a high profile user, so I won't have the opportunity to get on her machine for a couple of days. I was able to run ProcMon, but it crashed while running the successful function. I will try again.
    Friday, July 25, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Any update? 

Look forward to your reply.

Karen Hu

Monday, July 28, 2014 8:54 AM
  • Hello,

As it turns out, ESET NOD32 has a plugin that automatically is installed. After disabling this add-in, everything began working as expected. It is sort of odd that it can be enabled on my Windows 8.1 machine, but not the Windows 7 machine. Either way, I am happy it has been resolved.

Thank you all for your help!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:24 PM