Desktop, application and whiteboard sharing vs skype for business 2015 - standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am reading about skype features in standard edition and it says that "Desktop, application and whiteboard sharing is not available".

However, in my environnement, desktop sharing is enable by default and it woks fine. We have standard core cal on client desktop so I don't want to be in trouble by keeping enable sharing features.

so my quesiton is:

Can i keep enable  Desktop, application and whiteboard sharing with S4B standard and standard core CAL ?

if you can provide me an Microsoft article that would be nice.

thanks

Frederik

Feature

Skype for Business

Standard

Skype for Business

Enterprise

Desktop, application and whiteboard sharing

-

+

SOURCE: https://kb.intermedia.net/article/2245

Monday, June 4, 2018 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Frédérik,

Based on our research, Client Access License (CALs) are required to use Skype for Business Server.
    Standard CALs enable users or devices to connect to Skype for Business Server for presence, IM, peer-to-peer VoIP and HD video, and Skype connectivity.
    Enterprise CALs enable scheduled and impromptu meetings with audio and video calling, desktop and application sharing, and dial-in conferencing on mobile phones, tablets, PC and Mac. The Standard CAL is a prerequisite for Enterprise CAL.
    You could refer to this article for more information:
    https://products.office.com/en-us/skype-for-business/it-pros

And please note: Enterprise Pool and Standard Edition are nothing to do with licensing; they are just deployment roles.

For license issue, you could also call Microsoft to get more information
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:07 AM
  • HI Shaw,

thank you for the reply

So i need to setup a policy to disable desktop and application sharing since i am using standard Cals ?

Regards,

Frederik

Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Hi Frédérik,

According the article, I don’t think the Standard CAL contains the application sharing feature.

I notice you use Standard Edition server, as you know the Standard Edition server does not mean Standard CAL, I think you may first check with the license vendor which type of license do you use.

In addition, if you do not want to use the sharing feature, you could refer to this link to configure the policy:

http://howdouc.blogspot.com/2011/09/understanding-and-enforcing-licensing_21.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Monday, June 11, 2018 1:39 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2018 8:41 AM
  • great article

thank you

Friday, June 8, 2018 3:16 PM
  • Hi Frédérik,

Glad to see my reply is helpful to you. Hopefully you are delighted with our service.

If there is anything other we can help you in the future, please feel free to reply.

Regards,

Shaw Lu

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:39 AM