"Save as" and Windows explorer frequently cause explorer or app to crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone- I think this is the right place to post this-

I have been using Windows Vista since before SP1 came out for it- when Win 7 RC came out with the direct upgrade path, I took the opportunity, and boy am I glad I did.

Been noticing however that once in awhile, probably once or twice a day, when going to save a doc or any type of file, in any program, that when the "Save As" dialog box comes up, it seems like it chokes when trying to access the disk and display the default folder location, and that ends up crashing my app. It could be IE, Word, Excel, seems like anything. Normally after restarting the app, I can access the "Save as" dialog box successfully, but not always.

It also seems I get a similar error sometimes just opening Windows explorer, or other network share locations. Usually explorer.exe blows up, and restarts. Again, after that, seems to work fine most of the time- but not always.

I'm thinking the problems are related in someway to explorer, but I don't know why- others in my org that I've spoken with that are running 7 RC have not had the same experience- and I'm wondering if it's because there were some Vista remnants that don't play well with the upgrade or something...

Anyone else have similar exp?
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This may be due to corrupted system files. I would like to suggest that you scan the whole disk using the following methods.

1.    Scan your whole disk using security software such as Norton.

2.    Free some disk space using Disk Cleanup. Windows freezes may be caused by limited space and low computer performance.

3.    Use sfc.exe tool to scan the whole system files and fix corrupted ones.

1)     Open a command prompt by clicking the Start button, right clicking Command Prompt by running as administrator.

2)     Type in: sfc /scannow.

3)     Restart the computer and see if the issue occurs.

4.    Use chkdsk.exe utility to check disk errors.

1)     Open a command prompt by clicking the Start button, right clicking Command Prompt by running as administrator.

2)    Type in: chkdsk /f

3)     Choose Y and restart the computer to automatically finish disk check.

If the issue persists, I recommend that you perform a Startup Repair to replace corrupted system files if you own a Windows 7 RC DVD.

Startup Repair

==============

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1)   Please insert the Windows 7 RC DVD and reboot the computer.

2)   When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)   Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4)   Click Repair your computer.

5)   Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6)   On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This may be due to corrupted system files. I would like to suggest that you scan the whole disk using the following methods.

1.    Scan your whole disk using security software such as Norton.

2.    Free some disk space using Disk Cleanup. Windows freezes may be caused by limited space and low computer performance.

3.    Use sfc.exe tool to scan the whole system files and fix corrupted ones.

2)     Type in: sfc /scannow.

3)     Restart the computer and see if the issue occurs.

4.    Use chkdsk.exe utility to check disk errors.

2)    Type in: chkdsk /f

3)     Choose Y and restart the computer to automatically finish disk check.

If the issue persists, I recommend that you perform a Startup Repair to replace corrupted system files if you own a Windows 7 RC DVD.

Startup Repair

==============

Note: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1)   Please insert the Windows 7 RC DVD and reboot the computer.

2)   When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)   Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4)   Click Repair your computer.

5)   Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6)   On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Have you noticed that the crashing only happens when you have an iphone (or other apple product) plugged in?

What does your Event Viewer show for the error? does it have objc.dll as the module?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:40 AM