none
Migration from 2003 to 2007 issue RRS feed

• Question

• I migrated project server 2003 data over to 2007 and have discovered that after migration, some projects finish dates, work, remaining work, %complete, and other fields are mismatched.

I tried deleting the project from 2007 then importing it from 2003 to 2007 but that still gives the same result.  Any ideas on why this would happen? I have never seen this before.

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are the calendars the same?
    Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Yes, they are.  I migrated Enterprise data, then projects. 

I compared a copy of 2003 and 2007 project side by side and it seems like the 2007 version has lost leveling results on some projects. 

Friday, September 3, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I hope you followed the below steps:

1. Installed project server 2007 + sp2 + June 2010 CU

(Since lots of issues resolved in the latest CU, recommended to do have the latest patches)

2. Followed Pre-migration and Post migration steps

Pre-migration verification and cleanup

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197599(office.12).aspx

Post-migration tasks for Project Server 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197573(office.12).aspx

----Even then if the values are not appropriate, import only those projects manually from MPP files. (This worked for me at so many situations)

More Info:

Troubleshoot migration for Project Server 2007
    Project Server 2007 migration quick reference

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:31 AM
  • I have followed all pre and post migration steps described in the article you've mentioned.

I did not have the latest CU, so after reviewing your response, I applied the patch. I still have the same issue :(

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Hello,

Install the patches before the migration, Anyway you can follow the steps below

Create new PWA now, do the migration once again

Exclude the projects which are giving issue, Import those projects from MPP

This may give better results...

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hello Sriram,  Thanks again for your response.

I did migrate after the patches were installed. I also verified the patches were successfull by querying the versions table of the PS and WSS databases.

After reading your last comment, I restored the clean PS2007 databases and remigrated.  For the projects that are having the issues, when I import them to PS, the dates do not match the 2003 version.

This is really strange. At first i thought that the projects with mismatched finish dates were some how losing thier leveling results but then I realized that some of these projects have never been leveled.  I see that the work scheduled for resources are differnt in 2007 than 2003, but I cannot pin point why. 

I see projects with mismatched project work, project remaining,  and %complete that are not consistant with the ones with mis matched finish dates.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hello,

As you know that, when you publish in 2007, scheduling engine will calculate the projects.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms513875(office.12).aspx

I would recommend you to work diligently on the projects which are giving issues to find out the reason. I believe you need to work on 2003 itself, later try to import the projects to 2007.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi Sriram,  Thanks for your help.  We took a close look one of the project plans and compared it's 2003 version to it's 2007 version.  It definiatly appears that we are losing our leveling results after migration. It seems like the when we migrate or even import the project, the finish date goes backward.   We had to level the project after migrating to get the expected finish date. 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:32 PM