Licensing Server 2012 R2 RDS servers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not quite sure how to license my RDS servers.  With Server 2008, I was able to have two license servers and have 4 terminal servers look to those two.

I have 4 child domains, each has it's own RDS server.  I'd like to put the license service on one or two servers and have all 4 look to it.  That said, the 4 are not part of a connect farm or collection.  I wouldn't want the system to decide which RDS host to send each login.  Can I still do this with my licensing, so that I don't have to allocate a specific number to any given server? How do I get to the point where I can actually call into Microsoft and activate licenses?

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:31 PM

Answers

• I got this figured out.  I ended up opening a ticket with MS, which I still got incomplete info there. 

First, I had to install the license service.  My server said there was a pending restart, so I had to do that first.
    Next, I found the license manager in Administrative Tools, just like before.  Went ahead and activated and added my per user cals.
    Next, I configured local policy on all my RDS session host servers to point to the 2 license servers I created. 

In this new convoluted server manager, I was expecting there would be a right click menu or a place to configure where to look for license servers.  Seems like management of this is a step back. 

Monday, April 6, 2015 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of RDS CAL do you have?
    If you have Per User then that specific user can have access to the server from any device and if you have Per Device any user can access the server from that specified device. For sending the connection to RDS host it seems it decided by RDCB server and not by RDL. You need to specify the RDS CAL to the server (either Per User or Per Device) and it will work accordingly. 

For contacting clearinghouse you can refer beneath link, but suggest to have all related documents, license and other related things on hand. 
    Locate the Microsoft Clearinghouse Telephone Number for Your Country or Region
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754874.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 27, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I use per user CALS. Currently, the license servers are Server 2008 (non-R2). I do not know where to go in Server 2012 R2 to configure licensing, and let's say I make RDS "Server1" a license server, can RDS "Server2" use it as a license server, when the two are not part of a RDS collective, and they aren't in the same child domain?
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

For managing RD Licensing under server 2012 R2 you can find RD License manager. You can check below article for information.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2013/09/20/rd-licensing-configuration-on-windows-server-2012.aspx

No, for maintaining License server we need to have RD License role installed on the server and need to configure the proper CAL to use for client. And for your understanding you can refer this article regarding domain environment setup for RDL server. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:45 AM
  • I got this figured out.  I ended up opening a ticket with MS, which I still got incomplete info there. 

First, I had to install the license service.  My server said there was a pending restart, so I had to do that first.
    Next, I found the license manager in Administrative Tools, just like before.  Went ahead and activated and added my per user cals.
    Next, I configured local policy on all my RDS session host servers to point to the 2 license servers I created. 

In this new convoluted server manager, I was expecting there would be a right click menu or a place to configure where to look for license servers.  Seems like management of this is a step back. 

Monday, April 6, 2015 6:53 PM