none
Trying to do desktop virtualization analysis, Perfmon Collection Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I'm utilizing MAP 8.0 and having trouble connecting to perfmon when doing the performance collection. I was able to scan AD and an two OUs with ~50 computers to the inventory. I'm able to connect using a few different WMI tests but perfmon keeps failing. Any recommendations?

All of them have errors for perfmon. Here is the result of CoreReporting:

Status                             | AD | Perfmon | PowerShell | Registry | Sql | Ssh | VMware | Wmi |
       |--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | N/A                                        | -  | -       | -          | 50       | -   | -   | -      | 50  |
       | Success                      | -  | -       | -          | 41       | -   | -   | -      | 41  |
       | Failed - Machine not found        |-  | 36      | -          | -        | -   | -   | -      | -   |
       | Failed - Connection time out | -  | -       | -          | 9        | -   | -   | -      | 9   |
       | Failed - TCP port 135 unreachable | -  | 14      | -          | -        | -   | -   | -      | -   |

And here is a copy of one of the errors:

<2013-03-18 12:45:17.02 WorkerThread104@DeviceInventoryWorkItem,I> InventoryWorkCallback(Device(GUID={1b15b296-5bc5-4878-be6d-f31a7c2e4fe0},DnsHostName='CON122-10')) - Device inventory completed. Elapsed time = 00:00:00.888. Collector class results: <PerfmonClass ClassName='LogicalDisk(_Total)'> = FailedDueToHostNotFound, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Memory'> = FailedDueToHostNotFound, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Network Interface(*)'> = FailedDueToHostNotFound, <PerfmonClass ClassName='PhysicalDisk(_Total)'> = FailedDueToHostNotFound, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Processor(_Total)'> = FailedDueToHostNotFound.

• Edited by ITDSupport Monday, March 18, 2013 9:22 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Answers

• For the performance collection, MAP uses Remote Registry to retrieve the perf counters. This means that as long as the credentials have permission to read the registry on the target machines, MAP should be able to use them.

However, before the performance data collection actually starts, MAP runs the inventory engine which will try to inventory any data points that were not successfully collected in previous inventory runs from all of the machines discovered.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:24 PM

All replies

• For the performance collection, MAP uses Remote Registry to retrieve the perf counters. This means that as long as the credentials have permission to read the registry on the target machines, MAP should be able to use them.

However, before the performance data collection actually starts, MAP runs the inventory engine which will try to inventory any data points that were not successfully collected in previous inventory runs from all of the machines discovered.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:24 PM
  • I just enabled Remote Registry via GPO and am restarting the PCs now. I'll try again and update this.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I have the same problem. When I collect the server performance data, the result is "Failed - TCP port 135 unreachable".

1. The MAP installed in a workgroup PC, not in AD domain.

2. Collect object is a AD Server

3. I inputed the right account, it have the admin permission.

4. I closed the firewall.

5. I opened service. (remote registry, WMI, File and share, and so on)

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:07 AM
  • I have kwown the reason. Maybe it's a bug.

1. The  object PC is a vmware system. It have serval IP address.  192.168.1.99,  174.36.85.72, and so on.

2. When I use the PC Name to collect perform information, it will use the IP (174.36.85.72) that is not listening 135 port. [you can see the data below]

So I try to modify the hosts file, force bind the  pc name to  192.168.1.99, then it is ok.

Some data:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | Status                            | AD | Perfmon | PowerShell | Registry | Sql | Ssh | VMware | Wmi |
       |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | N/A                               | -  | -       | -          | 1        | -   | -   | -      | 1   |
       | Success                           | -  | -       | -          | 1        | -   | -   | -      | 1   |
       | Failed - Connection time out      | -  | -       | -          | 1        | -   | -   | -      | 1   |
       | Failed - TCP port 135 unreachable | -  | 1       | -          | -        | -   | -   | -      | -   |
       |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       |
       |-------------------------------------------------------------------
       |Results of: [Core_Reporting].[SupportabilityConnectionErrorSummary]
       |-------------------------------------------------------------------
       |
       |--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | count | connection_context                           | ConnectErrorMsg                                                | connect_exception                                                                                     |
       |--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | 1     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(GetRPCPortStatus()) | GetRPCPortStatus.1(SocketException.SocketErrorCode = TimedOut) | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): 由于连接方在一段时间后没有正确答复或连接的主机没有反应,连接尝试失败。 174.36.85.72:135 |
       |

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:38 AM
  • After enabling remote registry via GPO using this:

GPMC open the policy that applies to the Computers you wish to apply this to navigate to Computer Config>Windows Settings>Security Settings>System Services and set the Remote Registry to Automatic. Most people choose to cancel the permissions dialog box.

For Network Discovery you need to ensure the Firewall is setup for File and Print Sharing and to enable the following

Computer Config>Admin Templates>Network>Link Layer Topology Discovery - Turn on Mapper I/O driver and Turn on Responder driver

I ran the performance collector overnight and everything seems to be working great. Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:50 PM
  • In order for MAP to inventory machines that are part of a domain, the machine that is running MAP must also be on the domain.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:52 PM
  • MAP is getting the IP address from DNS. If it is not the IP address you want MAP to use, you need to modify your DNS entries or modify the host file like you did.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:54 PM