Retention Policy Tags RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to apply a retention that moves all emails to an Archive DB that are older then 6 months.

So it would apply to Sent items, inbox, deleted items, Junk mail, and any other user created folders with emails.

I do not want it to archive Calendar Items, Notes, Contacts.

I am struggling to figure out what would be the best practice to achieve this. If anyone can help me out please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:42 PM

Answers

• This is what I have created but not applied to anyone yet. I have latest Exchange SP2 with RU 4

Create a policy called 6 month move to archive with the below Retention Policy Tags

All other Mail Folders move to archive after 180 days (I believe this will move all emails to archive)

Notes - Disable this Tag (To Prevent these from being arvhived)

Contacts - Disable this Tag (To prevent these from being archived).

Does this sound right?

• Marked as answer by Adam.Cochran3 Monday, October 8, 2012 2:11 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 1:27 PM
  • If your requirement is to archive all the emails including (the default folder like (Inbox, Sent Items etc) and the folders manually created by users) to 180 days old and leaving the Contacts and Notes not to archive from user mailbox.

Then the above created retention policy is ok to apply on a user mailbox.

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• you can try create a policy and assign retention tags via the command line, they made some changes in SP2 RU4.

New-RetentionPolicyTag -Name <String> [-RetentionAction <MoveToArchive>] [-Type <Calendar | Contacts | DeletedItems | Drafts | Inbox | JunkEmail | Journal | Notes | Outbox | SentItems | Tasks | All | ManagedCustomFolder | RssSubscriptions | SyncIssues | ConversationHistory | Personal | RecoverableItems>]

See above, taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335226.aspx

You can exclude the folders from the above list per your liking.

more information here;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/08/14/calendar-and-tasks-retention-tag-support-in-exchange-2010-sp2-ru4.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955.aspx

Formatting is not showing up correctly, so check the syntax from the tecnet links.

• Edited by Tushar_Jadhav Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Castinlu Monday, October 8, 2012 8:46 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:24 AM
  • hi,

Please remember to mark as answer.

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 8:47 AM
  • This is what I have created but not applied to anyone yet. I have latest Exchange SP2 with RU 4

Create a policy called 6 month move to archive with the below Retention Policy Tags

All other Mail Folders move to archive after 180 days (I believe this will move all emails to archive)

Notes - Disable this Tag (To Prevent these from being arvhived)

Contacts - Disable this Tag (To prevent these from being archived).

Does this sound right?

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:27 PM
  • If your requirement is to archive all the emails including (the default folder like (Inbox, Sent Items etc) and the folders manually created by users) to 180 days old and leaving the Contacts and Notes not to archive from user mailbox.

Then the above created retention policy is ok to apply on a user mailbox.

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Thanks, will this exclude calendar items too? I did not see anyway to exclude calendar items. So I am guessing retention might not apply to the calendar?
    Monday, October 8, 2012 1:59 PM
  • You are right, if you set the type as all folders, the calendar and tasks folders are excluded and the policy wont be applied to them 
    Monday, October 8, 2012 2:09 PM
  • I applied this policy to the first user as a test and all calendar items older then 6 months that were not re-occuring appointments have been archived as well as closed tasks older then 6 months. Any ideas as why this happened or a way to stop this when I roll it out to more users?
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:00 PM