Outlook 2010 creates duplicate contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to stop Outlook  2010 from creating duplicate Contacts? Use Outlook 2010 and a Blackberry and seem to be getting more and more duplicate contacts automatically?  I have not been able to find a way to prevent this from happening.  I have already disabled the 'Suggested Contacts' feature under File> Options>  Suggested Contacts, but that hasn't stopped the problem.  I am finding I have to go in manually to delete all these numerous duplicates.  Why does this happen, and what can I do please?  thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:03 PM

Answers

• First of all, hi!.,.how are you?.,.

I've been on the same boat in the past.,.all my gmail contacts were duplicated when I have it synced and deleting all those duplicated contacts is really tiresome. A total headache as I have hundreds even thousand of contacts duplicated.,.you can imagine how frustrating it was.

But deleting those duplicate contacts in Gmail will eliminate conflicts and eliminate the frustration of searching for the right contact knowing you will get the name you are looking for. So I have no CHOICE!!

But the thing is I am a busy person.,that I have no time to have it done. So, what I did is browse the net, keeping my fingers cross that i would somehow stumble upon some useful tips on how to clean up my address book. I'm glad I did took the time. =)

I found a useful tool called Scrubly Duplicate remover. The process is simple; it scans your Gmail contact folders and look for duplicate contacts. If Scrubly finds any exact or Compatible Contacts, it will remove or merge them automatically. They even have a back up so I can have the original copy just in case. I hope this information had helped you =).

If you have the time, you can visit their blog site if you want to have more information on Mac outlook syncing and troubleshooting.

You can also check out http://scrubly.com if you are interested =0

However, I don't know why it acts like that (duplicates) ..on the systems' programming, maybe..not that sure ;) but you can try doing this one to lessen the burden of manually deleting each contacts.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Cheers,

ChrisSmith

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 14, 2011 2:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the tool that called Automatic Outlook Duplicate Remover.

Try referring to the article:

Outlook Automatic Duplicate Remover

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/outlook-2010-automatic-duplicate-remover/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Sincerely,

Harry 

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Hi Harry, Thank you for your response & for the link. Can you tell me please: 1- Why does this occur (the duplicate contacts) 2- Is there any way to avoid this from happening? Thank you,
    Friday, January 7, 2011 7:55 PM
  • First of all, hi!.,.how are you?.,.

I've been on the same boat in the past.,.all my gmail contacts were duplicated when I have it synced and deleting all those duplicated contacts is really tiresome. A total headache as I have hundreds even thousand of contacts duplicated.,.you can imagine how frustrating it was.

But deleting those duplicate contacts in Gmail will eliminate conflicts and eliminate the frustration of searching for the right contact knowing you will get the name you are looking for. So I have no CHOICE!!

But the thing is I am a busy person.,that I have no time to have it done. So, what I did is browse the net, keeping my fingers cross that i would somehow stumble upon some useful tips on how to clean up my address book. I'm glad I did took the time. =)

I found a useful tool called Scrubly Duplicate remover. The process is simple; it scans your Gmail contact folders and look for duplicate contacts. If Scrubly finds any exact or Compatible Contacts, it will remove or merge them automatically. They even have a back up so I can have the original copy just in case. I hope this information had helped you =).

If you have the time, you can visit their blog site if you want to have more information on Mac outlook syncing and troubleshooting.

You can also check out http://scrubly.com if you are interested =0

However, I don't know why it acts like that (duplicates) ..on the systems' programming, maybe..not that sure ;) but you can try doing this one to lessen the burden of manually deleting each contacts.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Cheers,

ChrisSmith

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, January 14, 2011 2:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Why manually? There is a free tool that eliminates all these dupes:
    http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookContactsRemoveDuplicates/
    Alexey Kuznetsov,
    Relief Software
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:34 PM
  • There is a way to do this without using third party software.

Start outlook.

First go to File/Options/Contacts. In the Names and Filing field, make sure that the "Check for duplicates when saving new contacts" box is checked. Then press OK in the Outlook Options window to save and close the window.

Go to contacts in outlook. You will now see the "My contacts" field on the left side of you outlook window. In this field you see your contacts folders. (I only have two folders; Contacts and Suggested Contacts.)

Now right click on any folder and chose "New folder". Name this folder "Duplicate Remove Folder", or some other name that you find pleasing.

Left click on the folder that contains your duplicate contacts.

Left click once on the first contact in this folder so that this contact is highlighted.

Press Ctrl+A to select all contacts in this folder.

Press Ctrl+Shift+V. The Move Items window will open. Select your newly created contacts folder, in my case "Duplicate Remove Folder". Press OK.

Now all your contacts will be moved to the new folder, and Outlook interprets this as the contacts being deleted in the old folder and new identical ones being created in the new folder. Thanks to the fact that the "Check for duplicates when saving new contacts" box is checked, Outlook will now start looking for duplicates. You will be asked what to do with duplicated contacts. Chose the option that suits you best. I chose Merge all.

Now you can repeat the process and move all contacts back to your original contacts folder, or simply delete the original now empty folder and rename "Duplicate Remove Folder" to "Contacts.

Viola! All duplicate contacts are gone. Please note that this may not work on duplicates that don't have identical names. It may not merge Carl Pilkington with Karl Pilkington.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Hellstrom Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:57 AM